homemade jig jerker for bluefish?

jiggerjohn

I've just returned from a week on the Outer banks, NC for some Spring saltwater action. The winds and a strong current prevented much use of my usual lighter jigs, but the very compact ,heavy metal "Gotcha " plug saved the trip, as it easily handled wind & current. The bluefish ate these little "metal pencils" up, and the strikes were extremely explosive -almost like an electric shock running up your arms! I did best with a 2" home made version (not my design) that I acquired some years back, noting that many locals (everybody used this lure!) were constantly fouled on their lines with the multi trebled commercial versions. SOOO, since I know there are many very clever designers on this site, does anybody make (and sell) their own unique version of the Gotcha? I'm sure with better designed jigheads, more imaginative color schemes, and better hooking systems that this will be an even more productive saltwater jig!!

hookup

JJ - you talking tower Gotcha jigs?

Hear the NC bluefish are slamming top waters now

If the trebles are fouling, go with a single hook instead of a treble

jiggerjohn

Hookup, Yep, the OBX bluefish are SLAMMING the 1 oz (mostly) standard Gotcha metal, mostly in red head with 3" white metal body. Usually with the fast jerking retreive near the surface ,often in that crazy rod tip down from the pier railing in their weird, awkward pencil grip (quite inefficient IMO). Very little else was being used by anyone last week on Jeannette's pier. I've read that some convert their trebled Gotchas to single hooks, but am searching for a better way overall of building such a lure. a lot more cheaply! In researching I may now have a clue in what is called Hex head jigs. I found one of these front angled 1 ozers down in Nagshead, and with limited use, and little more than a reinforced drinking straw for a body, found the bluefish slammed this model,too, but with much better single hooking -also MUCH superior during release!!

Kdog

Hmmmm, wonder about a 1/2 or 3/4 oz Shad Dart with a heavy 2-1/2" grub tail lots of color combos only a single hook, but with a long shank hook it might work

jiggerjohn

Kdog, A great suggestion! Shad darts on a jerking retreive might, indeed induce the zig zagging motion, along with a backwards,fatter grub tail (the reverse grub has worked for me in the past for largemouth bass). I have a few other ideas in mind for a jighead to yield that tight but wobbling action from a heavier head ; will be a while to experiment before I get down to the Outer Banks again! Thanks for your help with this project!!

jiggerjohn

Well, my research and limited experiments on bluefish down in North Carolina, has lead me to what I think our jig people will find to be a superior bluefish, striper, Spanish mackeral,speckled trout(and freshwater!) leadhead. I spoke with the very knowledgeable folks at Bird Of Prey Fishing tackle down in Florida this morning, and learned a bunch! First of all, their now famous(down South) Hexhead jig is actually derived from a long obsolete Hilts WALLEYE jig mold -very productive on 'eyes at one time, yet few employed it. The saltwater guys needed something fast and darting for a variety of lightning quick ocean species, and found it in this specifically angled jighead. The BPF family discovered a short nylon tail with plenty of flashabou and sparkly material enhanced the noticeable zigzag action of the longish head, and provided an artistic little tie that appealed to fish and fisherman alike !Their hand ties are real gems -look to be hard to part with by tossing them in water!We also discussed throwing the hexhead jig to muskies, pike, and bass in sort of a rapid near surface jerkbait fashion, and agreed that this might just be uncharted, and extremely productive territory!A very important point for home tiers is to make sure in using the company's bare hexheads, probably in their 1/2 oz model for freshwater work, to tie materials that are not overly long and insure that fibers do not flare out wider than the front lip of the head itself (such bulk will take away darting action).To fish, just tie a strong mono or fluro leader directly to the jig eye, cast with 15 to 30 pound braided line,jerk fast & often while reeling like mad, and employ a fairly limber medium action 7' rod (sometimes the "old" fiberglass models are superior!). Freshwater season up here in the North is just starting, and I have lots of hex-testing to do !

jiggerjohn

Hawn, Yep, the good ole kastmaster has all those great features! However, for some reason of their own, the OBX bluefish and Spanish macks that I encountered DEMANDED a long & thin profile in a lure, that could be retreived at top speed with hard ripping jerks without line twisting. The subtle darting (without rolling wildly) of the hex jig & its scant dressing seems to be the ticket! (easier to home build, too!).

Back