Homemade cornbread

hhawkins

Oven went out on me, which SUCKS monkeys!
Back-up plan......toaster oven. Does pretty good, no complaints. No I'm using my good one that I got for Christmas one year :p
Surely everybody knows how to make cornbread, here is mine.

1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
enough milk to make batter gravy thick

Mix all ingredients togther really good. Put a thin layer of grease or cooking spray in the bottom and sides of your 12 inch cast iron skillet, if you don't have an iron skillet use a pie pan. Preheat your oven at 400 degrees and bake your cornbread for 30-40 minutes (everybodies oven is different) To check your bread to see if it done, insert a knife in the middle of your bread and pull it out, if the knife comes out clean, no dough on it then your bread is done.
First thing I do is cut a piece out, just out of the oven, cut the cornbread open and melt butter all over the inside and smear good 'ole homemade applebutter on it <------yep, do that too! Yum, Yum!

StumpHunter

That is how we make our bread too. Nothing any better than warm cornbread right out of the oven with good cold milk added!!!!!! Dang I want some cornbread now LOL!!!

redman

I have the old family recipe for Johnny Cake ( corn bread ). It calls for a lot more and take a lot more time to prep.Will give yours a try like the butter idea but I have to have honey on mine. My great aunt had a pitcher of sorghum of some sort and would pour it over the Johnny Cake. She was a great cook and Johnny Cake would be served with her Homemade bean soup.

My wife has to make her corn bread with Buttermilk. Those southern cooks you know. And it has to be eaten with REAL BUTTER.

Now I am making my self hungry.

Redman

hhawkins

I hear ya. Most of the time I do use buttermilk. And the left over buttermilk is poured over cornbread in a glass. I do love honey on my cornbred, and good ole' homemade apple butter.....YUM! I was taught by 2 southern cooks....my momma and my granddad. That is learning from the best right there. Yes....I'm bias. :D

Back