Home built Tying vice

Jungleboy

I have posted a pic before of a vise I made for tying my jigs. I made another version and did a video on how I went about it if anyone is interested.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video and looks like a very functional vise! Some great ideas for a simple vise. You have lots of room and toys in that work shop. Your table top is sweet! :cool:

I like how you mentioned in the video that whenever you build something..... you right away start thinking of different ways you would do it if you would build another. Same here and your video had my gears turning. I tied on a simple AA style vise for many years until the jaw point finally gave up and would not hold hooks well anymore. The whole jaw assembly was actually on a threaded rod that ran through the upper part of the vertical stand. That was kind of nice because you could rotate the jaws (up or down the threads) a couple full rotations until you reached the end of it. You might be able to do something similar with the nut you have welded on the top of your vertical rod...... but then you would have to build a whole new jaw assembly! haha The thing i did not like about it though was that it would not stay put if you only rotated 180°. Gravity would cause it to roll the heaviest part of the vise down so you could not really tie on the vise with it rotated..... but you could at least rotate it to take a look at the other side. If any of that makes sense.

Jungleboy

AtticaFish said:
Nice video and looks like a very functional vise! Some great ideas for a simple vise. You have lots of room and toys in that work shop. Your table top is sweet! :cool:

I like how you mentioned in the video that whenever you build something..... you right away start thinking of different ways you would do it if you would build another. Same here and your video had my gears turning. I tied on a simple AA style vise for many years until the jaw point finally gave up and would not hold hooks well anymore. The whole jaw assembly was actually on a threaded rod that ran through the upper part of the vertical stand. That was kind of nice because you could rotate the jaws (up or down the threads) a couple full rotations until you reached the end of it. You might be able to do something similar with the nut you have welded on the top of your vertical rod...... but then you would have to build a whole new jaw assembly! haha The thing i did not like about it though was that it would not stay put if you only rotated 180°. Gravity would cause it to roll the heaviest part of the vise down so you could not really tie on the vise with it rotated..... but you could at least rotate it to take a look at the other side. If any of that makes sense.

actually you can rotate it as little or as much as you want and the thumb screw will clamp the jaws in position

dbeam

Great vice!!
I built a similar using key stock instead of round bar but the results are the same. I found a great deal on a factory vice, but the homemade ones now lives with a friend of mine and is used regularly.

Darrell

Fin and Fur

Yeah buddy! I always think it takes 8 to 10 renditions until perfection is reached, but it always functions up until perfection is reached. If I can build/make something I know how it was put together and I if I ever break it I know it's repairable(usually over built) and made in china.

Back