Hilts Replica Mold

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I see people now and then wanting to come up with custom heads and molds and can't remember ever seeing this shown as an option to create a custom jig head.....

Hilts Perfect Replica Mold

Not really sure how you form the rubber insert to create the shape? Looks to me like there is 4 inlets so could possibly create 4 jigs at once? Hook placement inside of the mold might run you out of room to do 4 though. With the hollow cavity mold, also seems possible to create your own inserts out of clay as well.

Anyone here have this or ever try it?

Kdog

I talked to the hilts people a lot about this product and although I opted out, it will probably work very well, Hilts aka Dolphin Sports is a "lead casting" company.

The silicone inserts work much the same way as vulcanizing molds for spin casting. Squish everything together and heat for a period of time, let cool and viola. a mold is born.

hookup

So, I'm assuming you need a sample of the jig you intend on molding, right?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like there is potential, but think it might be easier (and cheaper) working with clay rather than their rubber to get everything lined up and where you want it. At least in my head anyway.

hookup

Thx Dog

Clay's nice because you can make mods on the fly.

When I made a couple custom jigs, I got something close to the jig I wanted from Do It, then went at it with a dremel to take away metal, and JB Weld to add. After the JB would cure, it's easy to file/sand to the shape you want, and if you need a little more here & there, just mix up another batch. I think it took about five times for me to get exactly what I wanted. I did notice the JB does change after about 500 pours & needed to be touched up again. Maybe one of the layers fell away? Regardless, 5 min & it was fixed and 24 hours later, ready to pour.

Kdog

Just browsing today and saw this and had a suggestion for those wanting to try. First before buying the kit, trying making a few molds out of plaster of paris.

Just make a wooden frame, split it, make first half of mold, coat liberally with vaseline, then make other half. Cure in a low temp oven for several hours then test your creation. My only issue with POP is you gotta make sure it is cured. Read as molten lead and water do not mix. Voice of experience... no, I learned about it from Molten iron and water. That is a real mess. and can kill, not just hurt.

POP molds hold up fairly well. Do not Drop. Keep dry and IMO heat for a few hours before using. I keep em in the basement so higher humidity storage. If I want to use one, I put it in my PC oven for 4 hours at 220 degees F. Probably overkill, but I had burns. I have several hundred jigs run off of a couple custom molds I've made. Sure they are starting to deteriorate but POP is inexpensive

Be safe....

Back