High-soaring jig head

eyecrosser

I will have to see if I can dig up a few that I have left. If I recall mine are bucktail/feather combos in pink/white with some flash and chartreuse/white with some flash. You may also increase the size mono you are running. I typically use 12-15 lb. mono. You never know what you may hook into flats fishing. I believe the ones I use are 1/8 and 1/4 ounce as I typically fish a rising or falling tide when fishing the flats. I use a lift/pop style retrieve to simulate a shrimp or other prey fleeing a predator fish. As far as trolling I can see the difficulty in obtaining the desired effect you are looking for as all but the slowest speeds will kill some of the action and use this style of head was meant for. A bullet head or any head that comes to more of a point is a better trolling head. A tied skirted bullethead on its own is nothing more than flash and profile. Add a twister tail or some other plastic and you're in business.

StumpHunter

Yes I did order some wobble heads and made a mold. Turned out the little mold works very well. Mater of fact Doug I sent you a couple of jigs tied on the wobble head. Mailed them yesterday so you should get them soon.

Here are some pics of the molds and jigs made from the mold.

Attachments

• making a bondo mold 009.JPG
    making a bondo mold 009.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 93
  • making a bondo mold 012.JPG
    making a bondo mold 012.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 93
  • making a bondo mold 013.JPG
    making a bondo mold 013.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 93

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, anything draped onto action heads like the wobble (or shad dart) will stifle the action, like a weed fouled spoon. Besides tying thin, there are other ways to enhance the action of the wobble head.
1. Pour with lighter tin metal
2. Twitch retrieve. Not arm sweeps, but short quick flicks of the rod tip will enable side to side darting, like walking the dog with a surface plug.

IMO the design features - flattened slow fall bottom surface, upward planing front entry angle, and hook upright attitude are particularly useful running against or holding in river current activating wobble without excessive retrieve speed.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
OR TROLLING! :trollin: You can even adjust your direction and it will effect the jig in a big way either slowing it down or speeding it up - depending on which way you turn and which side of the boat the rod is out of.

Hawnjigs said:
.......IMO the design features - flattened slow fall bottom surface, upward planing front entry angle, and hook upright attitude are particularly useful running against or holding in river current activating wobble without excessive retrieve speed.

Bucho

True. When trolling with 2 rods in 90° holders, I sometimes break out of course just to give both lures a change of pace. A jig, on top of that, would also drop or rise in response. I Like the idea. :icon14:

eyecrosser

If casting/retrieving a wobblehead more material or buoyant material like bucktail may actually help slow the fall. This jig when fished on a sandy/muddy bottom in shrimp, crayfish imatations excels because you can slow crawl it and kick up bottom sediment on the flip or fall. What it loses in side/side action is negated by its ability to be slowed down for precise prensentation to shallow fish.

fishindad

I am really liking this mold!!!! This would be perfect for the flats around me. The sparkie jig works well but this is way nicer.

Back