Hiding the thread

Jighead76

This maybe a beginner question but I never tie this style and usually like the thread necks.
I have some 1/8 ballhead jigs and I want to tie marabou on them so it looks like the leech on a egg, or a salmon style. I can get the thread to be pretty small on them but not invisible. I feel like if I put any less wraps on it, it won't be secured good. Any tips on making them look as if there's no thread on the necks but getting it secured good? Thanks.

Kdog

Super glue and clear thread.
Also, use a thread same color as head so it looks like a neat transition.

QPassage

The glue works good, I use the Testors non toxic liquid cement. It dries clear and holds like crazy. The small tip head has even allowed me to glue the thread on a hackle and never get it on the feather. On thread necks it's even stronger. it will soak in completely thru the thread. I've cut a few apart and it is a real challenge getting it off even with a razor knife.

plateboater

Pending jig styles I use 2lb fishing line or 4lb if you are looking for a clear look! I do use Krazy glue to lock onto shank. Use Sally's over the rest when completed to lock everything in place. Try to make my jigs "bullet proof" if that makes any sense!

Jay Wirth

I would use thread the same color as the body.

I have never understood tyers (fly & jig) that use super glue on thread. I have a long experience with super glue in other hobby industries. Super glue when on fabric / thread (also hair and feathers) creates a brittle material that will crack and break. Head cement on the other hand also saturates the thread but remains flexable.

Pup

Jighead76 said:
...I want to tie marabou on them so it looks like the leech on a egg, or a salmon style. I can get the thread to be pretty small on them but not invisible... Any tips on making them look as if there's no thread on the necks but getting it secured good? Thanks.

Rather than cut and lay down marabou barbs, you could tie in a couple of feathers and palmer them up to the jig head, then just secure and whip finish directly behind the head. This is how many salmon jig tyers do it, including myself. I use Schlappen for the most part, but have also used marabou for this style. The barbs do fold back when wetted. BTW, thread color matters little if this method is executed properly. Though, I guess that I'd recommend using the same color as the feathers you choose until you gain some experience. Do use the thinnest thread that you can without fearing breakage.

To begin, make it easier on yourself by tying on jigs without collars. Later, you could practice with collared jigs to acquire a greater degree of skill if desired. :)

Jig Man

Like pup I would match the thread to the body/feathers... I also use water base head cement, and an applicator bottle with a long thin tube. You can get way down inside with it and holds good. Usually loose them before they come apart... I really hate loosing one I haven't caught a fish with yet...

00buck

Jay Wirth said:

I have never understood tyers (fly & jig) that use super glue on thread. I have a long experience with super glue in other hobby industries. Super glue when on fabric / thread (also hair and feathers) creates a brittle material that will crack and break. Head cement on the other hand also saturates the thread but remains flexable.

I agree I would use head cement I get mine from net craft and haven't had a problem my biggest problem is keeping the hair or feathers from raising while tying them to a bare treble hook

Kdog

Jay Wirth said:

I have found that with the clear thread (monofilament) superglue is much better than Sallys. When using thread I will use just the sallys.. But on mono, its superglue for me.

Jighead76

Thanks for the replies. I've done some changes and they are looking better. I started putting some glue down before I wrap the chinelle and I'm not as worried when I put the neck on.
And thanks to Pup for the info on palmering. That is what I was looking at but I think I'll wait to practice that technique after the season is over. I gotta keep up with the crappie jigs for now.
Thanks agian everyone. This thread really did help a lot.

Back