Hi from United Kingdom

D_Gold

Hi,
I'm from South East England, an 'Ignorant Brit' ;) as I'm new to this fishing lark. So far I've been collecting a bit of tackle for sea, fly and river ('coarse') fishing, and boning up on info until the new season ticket comes in. Stumbled across this site looking up Boolie Propeller Jig after hearing good reports and the seller stopped listing it. Some things look similar to us this side of the pond - pike & minnows - & some things very different - great to see the tackle tinkering, and crappy - sounds tasty:D

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome from Ohio! Glad you found your way here across all that water.

Crappie vs. Croppie - depends how you pronounce it. May be regional, but everyone i fish with says it like croppie (with an 'O') instead of crappie. Or maybe it just tastes different in the southern US? haha!

Jig Man

Crappy are very tasty, no matter how wrong our northern brothers pronounce it... :D And welcome from West Texas, great bunch of folks here. And good luck when you get your new season ticket.

redman

Big Howdy from Deep East Texas. It will be interesting to hear what is going on from a crossed the pond in jolly old England. I am sure that we will learn from you as you will from us. WELCOME!!!!

Redman

D_Gold

Many thanks for the warm welcome. I've been pulling sheep's wool off barbed wire fences and ordering some jigger hooks only this morning to give Vertical jigging Master's ideas a go over here. I must say there is plenty else that looks mighty impressive!!

eyecrosser

Welcome to jigcraft. Share some pics when you get a chance. Would love to see some of your work and also some of the fish you catch locally. What do you like fishing for over there?????

D_Gold

eyecrosser said:
Welcome to jigcraft. Share some pics when you get a chance. Would love to see some of your work and also some of the fish you catch locally. What do you like fishing for over there?????

We have fishing permits which run for a year, but expire March/April. Then there is the close season when no fishing is allowed... Basically it is a bit of waste of money to buy one now, but it will be good when I can get out as my son is interested too. The only fish I've seen caught so far have been a few mackeral on a holiday boat trip, and a friend catching a pike when we were kids. The pike did not bite, but he managed to get the spinner caught on the top of its head and hauled it in!

I'm partly coming at this from a bushcraft / survival perspective, i.e. very light gear - few lures, flies, hooks & swivels, braided line because it is supposed to get fewer curls (less 'memory'), a short rod that will fit in a rucksack, and ultimately a 'hobo' rod (wooden dowel). My interest is growing however, as I already have way too much gear;)

I'm mostly looking for stuff I can eat. Smoked mackeral is gorgeous. Pike, bass, haddock & crab would be good. Shame trout & salmon require an expensive game license ($100+).

I'm going to have a bash making lures like Vertical Jigging Master, but with black wool below & white on top, so for fish below the black is silhouetted against the light sky, and for fish above the white is silhouetted against the darker(?) bed. Add a bit of red (hook, tying thread, maybe couple of satin strands) because I have noticed fly fishing books here mention black, white & red are often used on successful flies - and apparently many fish are colour blind?! That is all the theory anyway;) ...

I will try similar mods on Abu's Toby lures too - red treble, ball bearing swivel, black underside, glue on sparkly beads for flash on top half and paint bottom half black, maybe weight the bottom half so it does not spin to the top...

I've a few flies to try out - Czech Nymph, blood worm-based, some from a NATO army fishing kit, a few imported from the US. I will try and see whether it is possible to use these with a normal rod & line, or whether I will need the special rod, reel & line normally used.

If / when I get enough experience / knowledge, I will be selecting lures, jigs & flies on the basis of catching as wide a selection of fresh & saltwater fish as possible.

Hope this is of interest. Any questions and I'll see what more I can add.

Fatman

Enjoy!! On those really rainy days kick back and read up. Hope you post some of your stuff here - I also fly fish so I see some of the stuff for flies, but, there's always something new to try!!!!!!!!

plateboater

D-Gold...do any ice fishing. We are taking a lot of the tungsten lures by storm here after watching your teams kill us!!! Also how about vertical jigging spoons. Any thoughts?

Back