Hi from the UK

davidriley

I live in Cheltenham, near the Cotswolds. I have been fly tying for many years, although I am no longer able to fly fish. However I still like to flick a spinner, or jig a soft bait. I currently fish the Gloucester Sharpness canal and local rivers for perch, pike and zander (similar to your walleye). Recently I have got into jig flies.

I have had a subscription to 'In-Fisherman' for a couple of years. It is interesting to see how you guys go about your lure fishing. I saw an article about jig flies and in particular reference to JigCraft, so here I am.

Looking forward to learning a lot more and pinching some of your patterns.:D

Tight lines

David

Jig Man

Hey David, welcome from west Texas. Looking forward to seeing some of your work... Maybe pinch a pattern or three as well. :icon14:

Bucho

Hi David, welcome from Kiel, Germany!

If you enjoy fly tying, you´ll love jig crafting. You can adapt pretty much every streamer pattern into a jig and chuck it out with a light spinning rod or dangle it under a float.

Looking forward to see your work, too!

AllenOK

Welcome from Oklahoma! I love reading about folks fishing in other countries. Different way of doing things, etc.

dbeam

Just joined myself, but I am really enjoying the site I hope you do as well. Please posts some pics sometime.

Darrell

LedHed

Sponsor
Hola from SoCal, welcome from across the pond.
I do some collecting of vintage fly tying equipment and have some things posted from the UK. Have some pics of Veniards vices & a catalog. Been watching a Farlow's on ebay but don't want to spend the money.
Hope to see some pics of your tyes.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Another welcome from Ohio. Glad to see you post and hope to learn a little from you as well. Had to google your area...... there is quite a length of canal from Sharpness to Gloucester. From other pictures i saw as well, looks like a beautiful area.

davidriley

AtticaFish said:
Another welcome from Ohio. Glad to see you post and hope to learn a little from you as well. Had to google your area...... there is quite a length of canal from Sharpness to Gloucester. From other pictures i saw as well, looks like a beautiful area.

The canal is 16 miles long and has an average depth of 18 feet. It a quite a difficult water to fish as there is so much of it, but it holds pike of 30lb+, zander 15lb+ and perch 4lb+. Location is the key! My best perch to date from the canal is 3lb caught 'drop shotting' which can be a successful method although I find it 'a bit like watching paint dry'. I can't wait to work a few jig flies in the canal, particularly for the perch and zander.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

This place is an awesome site. I am looking forward to becoming an active member. The standard of tying is very high so I think I may struggle to compete.

Best wishes and tight lines to you all.

David

BucktailJiger

A welcome to you my friend from Iowa .
You won't find a better place for anything related to tying or a better bunch of folks !
Post some pics of some of the Zanders !!!

JSC

Welcome from Florida ...

From Dec. 1951 till Dec. 1954 I was stationed at Fairford in the Air Force... This was the only 3 years that I did not wet a line that I can remember.
Loved Cheltenham .. A lot of memories .... There are some great looking streams all over the area (Fairford was at the headwaters of the Thames) I watched a little Fly Fishing for trout (watched them in the clear water at Fairford bridge. They kept us real busy and with a little time off now and then we tried to see all we could. I did have a bait casting reel sent to me from home and was going to check out a rod from special services but never got around to it .. the one guy that did fished a couple of small lakes and got into a few pike using a spoon.. There were a couple of the guys who had gone to the coast fly fishing for -- I think -- Steelheads.
The Cotswells is a place everyone should see ...
Spent some time at the Town Hall and other establishments ... at the present the names are blank -- even if we were going a lot of other places we would use the train station in Cheltenham. There was a bus line for transportation to and from Fairford and they got to know us real well .. cannot think of their name.
Name of that town brought back a bunch of memories.

If you need to know any thing about jigs these guys will give you some great information.

:)

davidriley

JSC said:
Welcome from Florida ...

From Dec. 1951 till Dec. 1954 I was stationed at Fairford in the Air Force... This was the only 3 years that I did not wet a line that I can remember.
Loved Cheltenham .. A lot of memories .... There are some great looking streams all over the area (Fairford was at the headwaters of the Thames) I watched a little Fly Fishing for trout (watched them in the clear water at Fairford bridge. They kept us real busy and with a little time off now and then we tried to see all we could. I did have a bait casting reel sent to me from home and was going to check out a rod from special services but never got around to it .. the one guy that did fished a couple of small lakes and got into a few pike using a spoon.. There were a couple of the guys who had gone to the coast fly fishing for -- I think -- Steelheads.
The Cotswells is a place everyone should see ...
Spent some time at the Town Hall and other establishments ... at the present the names are blank -- even if we were going a lot of other places we would use the train station in Cheltenham. There was a bus line for transportation to and from Fairford and they got to know us real well .. cannot think of their name.
Name of that town brought back a bunch of memories.

If you need to know any thing about jigs these guys will give you some great information.

:)

Thanks for the welcome JSC.

You are right there are some great streams/rivers in the area. I occasionally fish the Thames near Fairford. The airbase at Fairford is still going strong and from time to time some of your planes still visit. Can't remember their names but they are mostly huge transport aircraft. ( my mate works on the base with his hawk keeping the runways clear of birds) The river, where you watched them fly fishing from the bridge, would be the 'Gloucestershire Coln' which is one of the classic fly fishing limestone rivers in the UK, not quite on a par with the chalk streams of Hampshire, the rivers Test & Itchen, but not far off. It holds some very large trout. http://www.fishingbreaks.co.uk/gloucestershire.htm

I am learning a lot from this forum.

David

Radtexan

Another Texas welcome David. Glad to see you jump in and hope to see some of your work and catch's. Especially some of your scenery !!

Back