Here's what I'm working with

Lost Pole

4b835fcb-e0aa-c0ee.jpg

Hind quarter of a wild hawg. I only have access to propane grill and an oven. I'd like to do something with it tomorrow. I'm not much of a cook. I soaked it overnight in milk bc I was told it'd take the wild outta it.
So if anyone has a rub/marinade recipe for tonight and some directions for cooking with one of the above mentioned methods, I'd appreciate any help. I have tons of spices with plenty of heat.Otherwise, I'm Gon pick out something online n wing it.
ThX

BucktailJiger

Dry rub it with spices , based it with a 60/40 mix of 57 and ranch dressing , fill a cake pan with water and hickory chips put the chips on bottom rack below the meat , keep water in pan at all times . Call me when it's done !!!!

redman

Dry rub for sure. You will need to use both white and brown sugar and cayanne. Salt and black pepper. Paprika. There are several good web sites with rub recipes. Google it. I am with Ron Don low and slow on the grill. Follow Quint's advise on the way to smoke on the grill. And yes let me know when its done I will be there before Quint. I am closer.

Redman

Lost Pole

Thx guys but have had terrible luck on the propane grill. Too hard to keep temp stable. May try slow cooking in oven.
Cat done drug this poor lil'n up this morn.
4b835fcb-a821-be59.jpg

She's punished. She knows good and well that tail ain't worth two cents.

blt

I can't really tell how big it is, or how big your grill is. Use the gasser and lite one side, put meat on the other side. Low and slow. Paint the meat with yellow mustard, sprinkle on the rub.

In the oven, large roasting pan, water on the bottom, sit the roast on a rack to keep it out of the water. Low and slow. Drape a sheet of aluminum foil over it.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
redman said:
...both white and brown sugar and cayanne. Salt and black pepper. Paprika....

That sounds very close to a modified rub that is a family favorite around here. Just add in some chili powder, rubbed sage and cumin. The cumin gives it a mexi-kick that we like.

Back