here are a couple I tied up for twitchen for coho

Pepop

Hit both those with your "Shrink Ray" down to about 1 1/2" or 2" and you'd get some crappie ichin fer yer twichin! Nice ties!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Don't think I've ever seen a Pony spinner coho or steelhead jig. Great idea to upgrade to a 2x hook - was it a difficult mod?

toadfrog

Ok I'm confused I thought coho hit around one ounce lures ' darn decent job on those too.

Shoemoo

Looks like you'll be sticking some silvers. Might want to tie up some in chartreuse and neon orange too. They love those.

Lost Pole

Pepop said:
Hit both those with your "Shrink Ray" down to about 1 1/2" or 2" and you'd get some crappie ichin fer yer twichin! Nice ties!!

X2
that Purp n Pank is :icon14:
Really sweet! Is that Pearl White a Pro Tec?

goodtimesfishing

Hawnjigs said:
Don't think I've ever seen a Pony spinner coho or steelhead jig. Great idea to upgrade to a 2x hook - was it a difficult mod?

I have not seen them designed for salmon or steelhead but have heard stories for years now about people hooking lockjawed coho with "roadrunner" jigs and the story usually ends with "fought it for a while then lost it, when I looked at my jig the hook was completely straightened out"

Every year for a while now I have wanted to make some with GOOD hooks. Finally bought the mold and now I can make them. Coho love flash and love jigs so I think they will love them. Of coarse they are intended for when they are in the rivers. Out on the salt I use down rigger with 11 inch flasher and squid or coyote spoon. Pretty much the standard for the salt around here.

As for fitting the 2x strong hooks...I just put them in the mold and gently kept tapping or hitting with rubber mallet and before long the mold would close all the way with no gap. I only place one hook in the mold at a time, once it fit good I would start working the next size. They fit great now!

goodtimesfishing

toadfrog said:
Ok I'm confused I thought coho hit around one ounce lures ' darn decent job on those too.

Thanks.
Yes, out in the salt you would use that large or actually larger jigs for coho. However once they are in the river the ideal size or most common size for twitchen jigs would be 3/8 oz. If you are working frog water or water with very little to no current you would use say 5/16 oz some will go as low as 1/4 oz but I think that is on the light side to work it right. If float fishing for them we use 1/8 oz the most and maybe 1/4 oz.

goodtimesfishing

Lost Pole said:
Pepop said:

X2
that Purp n Pank is :icon14:
Really sweet! Is that Pearl White a Pro Tec?

Thanks.
Not sure if that is pro tec or not. Is cs coating the same as pro tec? I got it from bluekittenfishing on ebay, and his color chart is cs coatings. It is the pearl white and I really like how it turns out. First coat is hf white then pearl white. With the exception of black most all my jigs get a light coat in the fluid bed with the harbor freight white just as a base. I feel it really makes some of the colors pop.

Hawnjigs

KISS
With 32833s the Pony Jig (you probably know "Roadrunner" is a legally defended copyright) can be used for any application. I'd guess that the heavy hook Ponys would hammer salt water species. When eventually more 2x versions appear, remember, you were likely the first.

Myself, if I wanted a blade jig, would use JungleJim's Tailgunner pattern.

Just for fun, try dragging one of those Pony jigs next to your squids.

goodtimesfishing

Hawnjigs said:
With 32833s the Pony Jig (you probably know "Roadrunner" is a legally defended copyright) can be used for any application. I'd guess that the heavy hook Ponys would hammer salt water species. When eventually more 2x versions appear, remember, you were likely the first.

Myself, if I wanted a blade jig, would use JungleJim's Tailgunner pattern.

Just for fun, try dragging one of those Pony jigs next to your squids.

Yes, mine are def Pony jigs.

I will have to give it a try with them out in the salt too. This year will be a crazy one because of the number of fish that will come. It is a humpy year(pink salmon) they run every other year and when they come, they come in crazy numbers and are very fun. There is a cove by my place that they go by before going in the river that is incredible fishing when they are there. The water boils with fish and you follow the boiling water casting into it. That is one time in the salt I don't use down riggers for salmon. They are right in close to shore but you want to be in a boat running up and down the shore line looking for the jumping and boiling fish. Action action action. You can catch those on ANYTHING pink. I think the pony jigs are going to be the ticket. Another real good thing to use for them is little 1 1/2-2 inch pink buzz bombs. The way those drop in the water gets them all the time.

Can you post a link or pic of junglejims tailgunner patern? Curious what that one looks like. I am thinking it is one with blade off the back...and yes those would be good too.

Shoemoo

The problem with pink years is they bring out all the unethical jerks who think snagging is the best way to catch them and people who have never touched a pole in their lives. I enjoy helping newbies, but geez people... Spend some time in the back yard learning to cast so you don't keep crossing everyones' lines.

I visit my parents in Federal Way in the fall every year, and last time the pinks were running my mom wanted to go to a plant nursery out in Puyallup. We drove along River Road for a bit, and there had to be at least 300 people standing in the Puyallup River just in the half mile or so stretch between Meridian and 66th Avenue.

Back