hello from NM

scrubs

Getting back in to jig tying again and it's Pup's fault. :D

I used to tie hundreds of jigs back in Wisconsin. I still have some 1/16 and 1/8 vinyl paint heads and tons of fly materials but that's about it.

Stuff will be mostly for trout since that's the default fish for shore bound anglers around here.

bill

Jig Man

Hey Scrubs, welcome from west Texas good bunch here. And if ya go ahead and blame everything on Pup, it will be easier.... And we will believe ya!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Nuthin wrong with trout for the sheer joy of angling, cept there are arguably better eating fish than "slimers". Most of my water time opportunity the last few years has also been footmobile trout by default, and 1/16 for still water and 1/8 for rivers my choices for jigs. Rabbit and mink fur ties have worked well for me, and this year I'll be comparing straight shiny synthetics and minimally processed other animal furs.

Where are you? I've read and heard that the San Juan River tailwater out of Navaho Res is one of best trophy trout destinations in the US. In fact, I've been checking listings for a cheap house in Aztec, Bloomfield, & Farmington recently but it looks like they're beyond my budget.

scrubs

Bucko said:
Welcome from Wisconsin! Where about in Wisconsin were you living?

Last place was in Wales around the Nagawicka / Delafield area. I'd go back in a flash but the frau hates the winters.

bill

scrubs

Hawnjigs said:
Nuthin wrong with trout for the sheer joy of angling, cept there are arguably better eating fish than "slimers". Most of my water time opportunity the last few years has also been footmobile trout by default, and 1/16 for still water and 1/8 for rivers my choices for jigs. Rabbit and mink fur ties have worked well for me, and this year I'll be comparing straight shiny synthetics and minimally processed other animal furs.

Where are you? I've read and heard that the San Juan River tailwater out of Navaho Res is one of best trophy trout destinations in the US. In fact, I've been checking listings for a cheap house in Aztec, Bloomfield, & Farmington recently but it looks like they're beyond my budget.

I'm in Rio Rancho which is just north of Albuquerque. San Juan is a roadtrip for me. Heck everything's a roadtrip. Fish mostly small lakes and rivers. What is termed a river around here you can jump across. :rolleyes:

Placed a small order from you a few minutes ago.

bill

Radtexan

Welcome aboard bill. Spent nearly 7 years in Abq. Lots of good times there.

Many weekends on the Juan ,Chama anamas,and pecos.

If only a couple hours to kill the clear ditch was lots of fun!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Albq must be OK - my older cuzzin from the Big Island(HI) got stationed at Kirkland, married a local girl, did his 20, and stayed.

Half a state drive ain't too bad for top shelf angling opportunity. I'm sure you got some local hot spots, even on the ditches.

scrubs

RadTexan,
Still working on spots. We've been here almost 5 years but I was too sick to fish for a couple.

Hawnjigs,
Your right about driving but I'm spoiled. Back in Wisconsin I was 5 minutes away from Lake Michigan trout & salmon and 10 minutes away from a rivwer with SM, pike and catfish.

Bucko,
Yup, that's the one and lot's of others in the area. Lived in Mequon for awhile and that was the Lake Michigan and river fishing I mentioned.

Kdog,
Thanks!

bill

Lost Pole

Howdy. Was born in NM and most of my grandparents lived and died there. A diff place for sure. Got a story this last weekend from gma about fishing "tanks" with her father as a child. Welcome to Jigcraft.
It's as good as it gets

Back