Heat

Youth Fisher

What is your guys and gals go to methods of heating the jig. I'm tired of using a candle. I was thinking a heat gun but thought it would be to loud. Any advice is appreciated. Tight lines :D

Pup

Butane utility lighter. Adjustable flame. Push a button and pull a trigger. It gives me great heat control.

Airstreamfield

+1 for heat gun, got mine at Harbor freight for like 8$ on sale. It works wonders, has two settings both of which are more than enough to heat the head. Depending on the size of head I run each side for about 4 seconds and normally that is enough. I think the hotter setting could potentially melt lead so be careful there. The end also gets pretty hot so make sure you are careful where you set it down after you use it. It is a bit noisy but nothing crazy, put some ear buds in and listen to some tunes while you paint. :) :jig:

AllenOK

I've been using a "Hurricane Lantern". Basically, an old oil lantern with the clear glass "chimney". The "chimney" funnels the heat up. It's far enough away from the flame that I don't have to worry about melting the lead head, but funneled and concentrated that I only have to heat it for a few seconds before sticking it into the paint.

Barefoot

I just use the same oven I cure with to heat the heads. I load them on the racks and set the temp to 350, wait for thermostat to kick off and then use hemostats to grab them and dip in the fluid bed. I have always done it this way because I started powder painting with 3 - 5 oz. jigs.
Maybe I should use the heat gun with the smaller jigs I am painting now?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I use an oil lamp with glass chimney also..... i like it because it is very easy to repeat close to the same temp because your distance from the flame is set. Just get the time needed for the different head sizes. No noise either. I've read people do not like oil lamps or candles because they leave a residue or soot but i have never had a problem.

AllenOK said:
I've been using a "Hurricane Lantern". Basically, an old oil lantern with the clear glass "chimney". The "chimney" funnels the heat up. It's far enough away from the flame that I don't have to worry about melting the lead head, but funneled and concentrated that I only have to heat it for a few seconds before sticking it into the paint.

Back