heat transfer foil

toadfrog

There is a Face Book page dedicated to that . I tried it but it just wasn't my thing . Probably didn't do enough research from lack of real interest . Sorta stuck in my old routine. There are some reasonable priced heat presses for sale on ebay.

Bucho

I have ordered some silicone pads and a lot of foil and will keep you updated. Its not rocket science and since our fearless leaders here in the EU are once again discussing a lead ban it is a good time to break some old pp&stick on tape habits.

Bucho

Good to go now. Unfortunately the pads have a texture that is fine for textiles but prints through onto the metal surface. Also, the powder paint base coat is not as smoot as it seems and prints imperfections through. It is good enough for prototyping but will need improvement before I reach commercial grade. Some lure in the pic are shell veneer, also waiting for a clear coat of epiglass.

40868311ve.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
They look nice and shiny, that is for sure. Look really good to me and i know the fish don't care about those imperfections. The people buying them can be way more picky than the fish i believe.

Bucho

It is demanding stuff. I love the flashy herring jigs but am not sure if I want to use it commercially. Then again, if the lead ban comes and I have to turn to bismuth I will have to acquire decent airbrush skills anyhow.

Bucho

I am ambivalent about that in multiple ways. I could buy perfectly designed lures in this manner for 1€ a piece directly from china. So can every other tackle dealer. Then again, the handmade-inline-seatrout-spoon community here is very enthusiastic about the thiness of the material and the way it blends into airbrush paint layers. My finnish balsa wood wobbler supplier Hannu Kesonen also uses them - on balsa!

I remember a full-flash holographic herring design being outstandingly successfull when the herring come into the shallow to spawn. It took a foreigner from NZ to find out , and when he showed the Finns they still refused to accept it over their traditional colors allthough they were breaking their necks to resemble herring, processing anything from real fish skin to cigaret foil .

Then again, under normal/difficult conditions as I was facing yesterday, the spoons in the middle scored no reaction whatsoever. The fully-clad inchiku pattern to the upper left however brought significantly better herring bite on my sabiki rig and even on the assist hooks themselfes. Also, the inland lake trout community is very fond of copper backed shell veneer, it would certainly help to offer a true copper finish that does not add up too much.

There is a local supplier of self adhesive lure tape here which is far superior to WTP with respect to both flexibility over curved bodies and durability, but he refuses to sell me bulk rolls. Long story short, I assume somebody must have badmouthed me, pointing at the WTP foil I have no morals cutting up since it is of no interest to the U.S. market. It is nice to have the opportunity to buy overseas and stay out of such troubles.

Long story short, I will have to master this.

Bucho

Had a few samples air brushed by a friend. It is not rocket science and hard to go back once you got used to the idea.

43057683nf.jpg

43057731rc.jpg

Bucho

My friend complained he was not happy with the dull acrylic finish he had at hand. i got myself a whole gallon of epiglass heavy duty 2k seal that should do the job even with one thin brush-on-drip-off layer. I tried it on the unpainted ones earlier and it works fine.

The color combo should work on herring fed trout that we are expecting. I am very excited about the flutter jig in particular.

Bucho

starting to get the hang of it. I use a contact grill to heat the silicon foam and then sandwich everything between two thick wood boards taht I step upon for 80sec. Not exactly "money" considering the combined effort but nice to learn a new technique.

44719294em.jpg

hookup

Looks good Bucho

Now the real question - do they catch fish?

Bucho

I remember extremely good results on herring feeding finnish sea trout with the Westin Salty "diamond thief" color sceme that is nothing but eye-soring holografic silver. Best herring imitation ever. Its a technique I found I need to master when jigging around herring.

Bucho

I was on x-change in Finland and have been visiting Friends there in the years after. I still stock handcrafted tout trolling lures from there to complete my product range. They derive from row-boat summer fishing and are particularly well suited for simple spinning gear on small watercraft.

Bucho

The legal size for a sea-run atlantic trout there is 50cm which is when they start fast growing. The Fins have no understanding of imitating shrimp or sea worm since the Eastern Baltic is practically fresh water. The are not as enormous as the ones in the great lakes though.

Today I tried the drill mount for an improvised lever press and got much faster, cleaner results. I will have to clean up the corner bench and consider commercializing the method. Managed to split the wood first try and had to use an aluminium plate instead.

44748560dl.jpg

44748563sh.jpg

Back