Hard as nails and gel coat ?s

Fin and Fur

Went to get some hard as nails and went to a rite aid. Looking through the crazy amount of colors. I saw gel coat. Anyone use gel coat before?

duffy

Haven't tried that but have noticed that some of the polishes and coatings have Lanolin or "essential oils" in them and don't know the effect that would have on durability. I always check the label.

hookup

Never used the get, but I want something thin that the threads will absorb.

As far as durability - I loose them before I have that problem.

I use this product and thin it down w/ acetone when it gets to thick

coy-698_1z.jpg

toadfrog

I use the same but if I have to do a grunch of them and clear coat over the eyes and head I use Klass Kote 2 part epoxy .

toadfrog

I use the same but if I have to do a grunch of them and clear coat over the eyes and head. I use Klass Kote 2 part epoxy .

slammingjack

I use super dry nail polish. From the dollar tree. I like it better and it's only a dollar.

Fin and Fur

I used some cheapo clear and it's thicker that the hard as nails. I Iike how the hard as nails soaks into thread but the thicker cheapo stuff has its place/uses as well, in my book.

I got a question on thread sealer of rod wrapping. I been doing some dinking around with broken rods and figured I'd just try the cheapo stuff on the thread. Seems like it does the same thing as the expensive thread sealer and it doesn't disturb color of thread. Question is; if I flex coat over the top am I going to have problems?

duffy

I would think depending on how thick you applied it would make some difference. If you only gave it a light coat to seal then it may not be a problem. If it's harder or more fragile than the flex coat it may crack under the FC but I would think that would take some stress. I guess you could always test some on an old chunk of fishing rod or something similar.

Hawnjigs

KISS
For thread wraps, don't notice any advantage between brands regardless of prices. For top coating jig heads Sally Diamonds sparkle is purty.

Arguably for best effect, one could apply fresh new NP as a thread soak coat and older thickened for a tuff top.

Back