Harbor Frieght Powder Paint

FuzzyGrub

HF has four colors of PP. White, black, red, and yellow. I had purchased these about a year ago, and never opened. It goes for about $5 a lb, but they run allot of sales. I don't think you can find it much cheaper.

In prep to start doing some multi-color, I decided to use HF for the testing. Decided to do it on some tube jigs heads, so there wouldn't be any waste there. On my single colors, have always used a toaster oven to pre-heat. I wanted to get some practice with the heat gun before doing the multi-color as well.

First, I did a couple of jigs in the base colors. The biggest surprise was that yellow is actually orange. The powder looked orange too. I can't tell you if that is a HF quality control issue or normal. I hand dipped these into a smaller than normal container. From the pic you will see that you can loose your touch if you get used to a fluid bed. ;) Overall, I was happy with the finish after curing. Seemed nearly as good as the protec I have been using but haven't done any drop (chip) testing.

HF_PrimaryColors.jpg

My next step was to see what kind of secondary colors it would make. I took equal amounts in of each and mixed the powder well and redipped. For the most part, what you would expect from color mixing.

HF_MixColors.jpg

Black + White = Dark Gray
Black + Red = Burgandy Brown
Black + Yellow(orange) = Deep Olive, near Green Pumpkin
White + Red = Pink
White + Yellow(orange) = Beige Orange
Red + Yellow(orange) = Dark Orange

Since the powder doesn't truly mix until curring, any small clumps will reveal the original color. I noticed this on a couple of mixes, but that might be helped with more focused mixing. I just had in small container and shook.

When I get some time, I'll play with the precentages on some of these to see what that will do. But next up will be multi-color. Need to try pre-cure multi-color and after cure.

PS: Sorry no pics this AM. Will post tonight. Hopefully, there isn't an "edit" timeout on this site.

LedHed

Sponsor
FG - no edit limit.

If your paint is clumping up - pour your mix on a glass pane or something smooth & hard. Use the back of a spoon and crush & mix the paint.

Shoemoo

I have all the colors except black. I didn't buy black because it's matte instead of glossy and I already had a jar of Pro-Tec black. The yellow I have is yellow, but not bright yellow. Its more the color of the yellow they paint roadway stripes. The red reminds me of a stop sign. I use the white the most. It doesn't have as many issues with dripping as the Pro-Tec white.

Fatman

Fuzzy

X2 with Lead - break up any clumps. When I first tried the mix for olive the guys told me to get it in a container with a good lid and shake the **** out of it to really mix it up, and it works great.

If you're dipping in the cup make sure to fluff the powder every now and then.

My brother in law is an xray tech at the local hospital, he brought me 4 of the heavy speciman cups with lids last night and he's gonna try and get me some more.

FuzzyGrub

Posted the pics, but the colors on the screen are not exact. I did check with my wife, and she said it was orange, too, or we are both going color blind. I'll check the "yellow" when I'm in HF next time. The dark olive almost perfectly matches the protec green pumpkin jig heads I have.

This was a quicky, using too small of containers. Just wanted the color info.

StumpHunter

I have the paints and like them, a little different to work with. The yellow I have is also the color of road paint but it has worked well on the jigs I painted with it. I did mix some of the clear gloss and the paints together in small jars and it does work great!!

toadfrog

Clear powder mixes well with the harbor frieght paint . That gives you more color effect options .

Radtexan

The HF paint is definitely a bargain...Good looking mix's Fuzzy

If you want a true yellow,the sulfur yellow from orbit is hard to beat.
DSCN2225.jpg

FuzzyGrub

I have many of the basic colors in protec. Mainly have 2 and 4oz sizes, so wouldn't waste that on mixing expeirements. The HF pricing makes that painless. Wish they had a blue or green.

Shoemoo

Is it just mine, or is the HF PP kinda stinky? Mine smells like milk gone bad when I open the jar. Thank goodness it doesn't smell during or after curing.

toadfrog

It smells a little weird but you get used to it or the more you open the jug the more the smell goes out .

FuzzyGrub

toadfrog said:
It smells a little weird but you get used to it or the more you open the jug the more the smell goes out .

The smell when you go into a HF store, is what I call the "China Odor". That exact smell, be it from plastic outgassing, oils in mfg, etc, is the exact same smell when I imported a diesel tractor a number of years ago. It is the 1st thing that pops in my mind when I go through the doors. :blush:

FuzzyGrub

Fatman said:
How are the cure times of the HF

The HF label says 15-20 min at 400F. But, I have been doing 20 minutes at 325F. I took one of those tube jigs and dropped it 6 times from about 8' onto its nose, to concrete floor. No chipping. It does seem to chip easier than protec before the cure.

I'll be doing some more painting today. Maybe I'll try one small batch at 400F Just seems too hot.

Fatman

That's why I asked - it seems that the 1/32nd ball head no collar might melt off the hook curing at 400 degrees. I usually do everything at 350 for 20 minutes.

Back