half a dozen eggs, four minnows and a deceiver

bombora

Hi all, finally got a bit of time to spare. Hardly even had the time to have a quick perve on the latest creations here. Man there's been some beauties.
Anyway just thought I'd show a few older ties after found pics on a file I'd forgotten.
Here's a quartet of 1/8th ultra minnow heads:
View attachment 1
Either bucktail or Arctic Fox tails. Pic isn't great. Top one is olive/gold/orange, next is simple pink and white, then a baby rainbow, and last black/gold/orange.
These next are sorta variations of egg sucking leeches, maybe. Heads are from 1/16th to 1/24th. Although not sure if the one with just two beads glued on _ a string of eggs _ qualifies as a jig?? Ha. Had planned to head to the mountains for a few days this week as the trout streams' closed season has ended. Weather had either ideas. It snowed, heavily, with gales and the road to "my" river was closed. It's mid Spring here, snow just two hours from the coast is not meant to happen in mid Spring. And it came after one of the hottest October days on record. But I'll gt up there soon.
View attachment 2
Last is a 1/8th tied in Deceiver style. Fur is Arctic Fox. Nice bulging epoxy eyes are from a bloke who sells online in Tasmania, Oz's trout Mecca. The tail feathers are tied "hands together", I just forgot to put em in place for the pic.
View attachment 3
Now to search for a new vise.
My simple, base model, vise has died. Bought while working in London for the princely sum of 10 pounds from this astonishingly snooty fishing shop on one of the city's poshest streets _ Hardies of Pall Mall (I don't think they had any fishing clothes which weren't tweed. Hell I think these guys' underpants were tweed. There were fly reels under cut glass counters with mood lighting, which cost more than a small car). Had him for almost 20 years, tying, then putting him away, then getting the itch again.
RIP good buddy.

Attachments

• fourminnows.JPG
    fourminnows.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 83
  • eggjigs1.JPG
    eggjigs1.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 83
  • deceiverjig1.JPG
    deceiverjig1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 82

toadfrog

Glad to see you back . There is a lot of work in those jigs . It shows too . I really like your style . Do believe if there are fish anywhere those will get them.

smalljaw

Really really nice!! I love the painted thread collars, did you epoxy and paint and epoxy over the thread or did you simply paint over the thread and then epoxy over it? I guess it really doesn't matter because the look is excellent, very real looking, they will catch fish anywhere no doubt!!! Nice work!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Like others in JC, attention to detail works of art.

I notice raspy trout teeth often shred or pull down my thread wraps before the fur gets destroyed, so wonder how you get such a thick protective coating on your wraps? Is there a brand of nail polish that is thicker than others?

JUNGLEJIM1

Cool ties !! I'd be afraid to use them for fear of losing them. I usually make at least three of anything. How long does it take to tie one of those bucktails on top?

StumpHunter

Beautiful work. I do agree those top jigs are awesome! Hate to hear you lost a long time friend in your vice, maybe you can find one wrapped in tweed LOL :D

bombora

Thanks guys. I just use a thin thread, which makes an even thread body much easier. Then do three or four coats of nail polish over thread body and a couple of coats of Hard as Nails over entire head and threadbody.
I don't throw out or thin my hard as nails when it thickens up after being used a bit: keep the thicker hard as nails for a final protective coat. Key is brush the thicker hard as nails on quickly so it's even (though thicker hard as nails might not be great for very small jigs).
Very simple and surprisingly tough. Keith I'd say the majority of our saltwater fish have sharp or peg teeth _ and like you say trout have those spiky little teeth _ which motivated the protection of the thread.
Jim they obviously take a bit longer to tie than a simple jig, but not much longer and these are kept for clear water (harbour has 60 foot visibility at the moment), shut down fish and snagfree environments! Hot bites and snaggy places the simple jigs get tied on!!
Now for the enjoyment of scrolling through JC creations haven't had a chance to look at recently _ ALWAYS inspires!!!!!!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Ah, I was wondering what to do with age thickened Hard as Nails. Was only single coating wraps with cheap sale polish - I guess an extra HAN coat won't seriously violate my KISS policy.

Back