hair

quivira kid

Did you pack it at all? That would be the sucky part to try and do with the head in the way! Looks good..... Have you tried fishing a deer hair body jig like that before?

tsdunigan

yea I tried to pack it with neeedlenose pliers opened slightly,no have not tried fishing it yet,my thought was might slow the fall some.

Fatman

TS first nice jig!!!!!!

Now PLEASE!!!! tell me this is not your first time spinning deer hair??? because if it is I really hate you LOL!!!!!

I've been trying to spin deer hair for 4 years now and I'm just gonna have to break down and find a class on it because I just can't do it!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care what fishing board I'm on I've posted the same thing. I really do want to learn, cause I really wanna make some Rat Faced McDougalls (Catskill Style Fly).

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice ties - the blue/chart is a favorite.

I love spinning hair!!! :cool: Fun to sculpt the shape you want from a big puffball of hair. I love spinning but suck at packing. :blush: I have made a few spun hair jigs - you will have some slower sink rates down a few feet deep and even slower with the lighter weight head you use. As your jig sinks deeper, the water pressure will force all of the captured bubbles out of the hair and you will get a normal sink speed. With that sloooooow sink, they are killers on crappie when they are spawning shallow. :exclamation:

tsdunigan

Fatman said:
TS first nice jig!!!!!!

Now PLEASE!!!! tell me this is not your first time spinning deer hair??? because if it is I really hate you LOL!!!!!

I've been trying to spin deer hair for 4 years now and I'm just gonna have to break down and find a class on it because I just can't do it!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care what fishing board I'm on I've posted the same thing. I really do want to learn, cause I really wanna make some Rat Faced McDougalls (Catskill Style Fly).

no it is not first time trying ,the first ones would have never been photo, tried to spin first ones with buck tail that just won't work well at all got belly hair and it got easier i think that I do better when I use small amounts of hair at a time , when I watched others seems like they use way more hair each time , but i use small amounts works better for me . I was watching a tuitorial on this the wife saw thats kool ,she found somewhere someone is making christmas ornaments,little santas,elfs the whole gang now she wants me to make her some ,need lots of practice.It is easierto pack the hair back on a reg. hook not jig head .that is for sure.

tsdunigan

AtticaFish said:
Nice ties - the blue/chart is a favorite.

I love spinning hair!!! :cool: Fun to sculpt the shape you want from a big puffball of hair. I love spinning but suck at packing. :blush: I have made a few spun hair jigs - you will have some slower sink rates down a few feet deep and even slower with the lighter weight head you use. As your jig sinks deeper, the water pressure will force all of the captured bubbles out of the hair and you will get a normal sink speed. With that sloooooow sink, they are killers on crappie when they are spawning shallow. :exclamation:

I do like spinning the hair it is kool, having trouble shaping the hair myself ,gonna get double edge razor blade ,seems like that is the way to go,i,ll be tying more of these for that slow sink for sure .

Fatman

I've watched the video's, have the Benchside Reference book and still nothin!!!! I'm checking with the local fly shop to see if they're gonna run any class's or can tell me if they know anyone in the area.

Someday!!!!LOL

redman

Fatman that was a really cool link. I have done a fair share of deer hair spinning but have to admit that I never was that great. Not that hard but the removal of what you don't want is the hard part. The best tool I found to use on those bugs was a surgical scalp. They dull very quickly and take a very hard Arkansas black stone to sharpen them back up. Guess it comes down to the more practice you get the better you are.

Ts Nicely Done keep up the good work. Hats off to you for the effort.

Redman

Back