Hair Stackers ?

BucktailJiger

Bet I opened a can of worms on this one ! So many to choose from and the different sizes and prices . Is one worth investing in ? Found a couple under 10.00 . One is brass the other aluminum . What size is the best to go with ? Yes I will be tying Bucktails from 1/16oz #4 hooks to 3/8oz 1/0 hooks . Thanks

toadfrog

Hair stackers are a waste of time and money . Its just as easy to hold the hair gently between thumb and fore finger pull out the longest ones . Fit them back until you get a sort of paint brush look . Then clip to length .

Fatman

Go to your local hobby shop and get some brass plate - it's about 1 1/2" wide and about 3 feet long. You can make about 4 packers out of one.

Cut it into four pieces - fold those in half - spread it apart and make an L bend on each end. Take a file and make a groove in each side, smooth the cuts, and you have your hair packers.

Shoemoo

I use the hair stacker that came with my kit. It works well enough and in all honesty, I don't use it enough to justify paying for a better one. I've heard you can make a decent one out of an empty lipstick container.

blt

Ditto the lipstick container if you need one. I don't use any. Pinch some hair off, tuff it, tie it.

quivira kid

The only thing I use a hair stacker for is dry flies and hair bass bug flies. For jigs and stuff, you want the natural taper that comes from the uneven tips. All you really want to do is pull out the underfur/short hairs and some of the longer ones that are out of place!

Back