Hair Jig Fishing - Tackle & Technique For Bass

Fatman

I think alot of us have been tying jigs like those for years. I started out on bucktails cause my Uncle wanted them. Course back then we didn't have the sickle hooks.

Pup

Thanks for your comments Everyone. :) I do feel pretty honored to be mentioned in the article. Glad you found it to be interesting too.

toadfrog

50 % of the jigs I've made have been hair . That is a lot of jigs . The addition of hackle feathers on a hair jig sure sets them off though . Thanks pup

blt

Late on this one, missed it lol.
When my Dad passed away and I took this tackle making business over, I brought everything over to my garage and got started. My Mom would always come over finding more stuff for about a year lol. She came over with a box of hackle, and I mean A LOT of it. I donated a lot to a fly tying club and still have probably a 1000 or so feathers.

I started to use hackle feathers (red/black and yellow) for my Saltwater jigs. Seem to catch a lot of fisherman with these now. Some are in the hair and sticking out past the end of the hair, some are tied on after the hair is on. I caught a lot of Flounder this year on 1/4 and 3/8 oz. popeye jigs with feathers on the outside, and trying to keep the curl of the feather pointed out so it gives it better action when jigging. Also used them on some striper teasers, 5/0 hooks.
I am a believer in it.

hookup

Great read.

Found another mentioned that I think highly of

My absolute favorites are a pair of custom built
Otterods by Matt Davis of Fergus Falls, Minnesota.

Not sure if Matt's on the board. Even though I build my own, I own two otterods. Matt pays attention to detail.

Back