Ground Work Help Needed

Bucho

Hi!

I want to enter the saltwater vertical jig marked and realize that I need to replace the huge, expensive 5/0-18/0 hook with a wire loop for assist hooks.

I have no experience in wire bending whatsoever. I wonder what tools and skills I need to bend a stainless wire in a way that takes the place of the hook in a 2-4oz seahorse- or Style H mold. The result is supposed to look something like this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/380666_3431443552432_1939880714_n.jpg

LedHed

Sponsor
Bucho - there are few wire bender manufacturers (Bogg's, Hagens, Cabelasa has one, and there are several others) that can do what you are asking. You might want to try a cheap loop maker (can be done by hand with roundnose pliers) and make a jig to shape the rest of your wire. Get pre cut wire from McmasterCarr.

Another option - if you are going to make a lot - is have customwirenow.com do them for you. There is another outfit that specializes in wire bending but can't remember - think it was Mustang wire - something like that.

CrappieHappy

Good luck with your venture. I know Ole RonDon had an issue with one company on some custom pre-bent forms,maybe he will chime in. if i remember right they are really pricey....

JSC

First I would make them with Loop Pliers ( "Round Nose Pliers") will really help you to get the "Feel" of bending wire .. Several places on line to get these and instrucions on how to use them .. After geeing the "Feel" and seeing what problems you will have on pouring and etc. You will have a better idea on what you need and can go one of 2 routes .. 1. Get a "Good" Wire Forming tool -- 2. Send Your Wire Form Sample to a commercial "Wire Bender" as suggested by LH .. Mustang is the one I have used and been happy with his work.
Wire working is a "Thing" of its on .. Just need to get Your "Head Wrapped Around" it.

Good Luck

Bucho

Thanks so far! I have just googled around a bit, any pros and cons on the round nose pliers vs. wire looping pliers? The latter seem easier to use.
Its mostly about the loops, found that do-it has a mold for spire point heads that require brass wire eyes anyway. Might incorporate them on downscaled pipe jigs, too. These Inchiku Style snapper jigs are really something, but only available in en-vogue overprized japan tackle stores. They sell for 15$ and more over here. They are said to origin from japanese commercial anglers, and after seeing pics of massive lingcod jigs used on the U.S. west coast I got a idea. Think I can make something out of that, replacing the cheap plastic hoochies with even cheaper but nice fluffy rabbit zonker strips or some kind of simple, large tie.

creekychub

Bucho- I've done my fair share of bending wire (stainless steel and brass) by hand with pliers (round nose, vise-grips, needle nose, etc...) with a boggs tackle maker, and with homemade "jigs" (nails/screws driven into a block of wood). If you're looking to bend shapes other than simple R-shape or round eyes you'll most likely be stuck using pliers. This video shows a simple "jig" used to make a heavy duty musky lure with thick gauge stainless steel wire. A couple of vise grip pliers and some wire is all you should really need to get bending. The guy narrating this video is known for luremaking and catching all types of big fish, I've learned a lot of tackle making tips from this guy.
p.s. you might want to look into softer brass wire as well, much easier to bend and tweak than stiff stainless steel.

Back