griffen vises????

goodtimesfishing

Anyone know the differences between a griffen Montana mongoose and a griffen blackfoot mongoose? looking for pros and cons on the two. I can get a Montana for $179 or blackfoot for $100 (both new). I am willing to pay the extra $79 but would like to know if there is much difference in the vises......I understand the Montana has extras that come with it, but I am referring to the function of the vise only.

Any and all comments will be helpful, thanks in advance.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about all the bells and whistles, but big thing i see (and have hands on experience with) is the Montana has the cam lock to hold the hook and the other uses a thumb screw. Both are still adjusted for hook diameter with the smaller front thumb screw, but the cam lever is easier to use in my opinion. Once you get the front screw set for the hooks you are using, you just rotate the lever to lock the hooks. I use the Odyssey Cam vise now and if i ever do upgrade....... it will be to the Montana Mongoose Cam.

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/modules/store/Vises_C38776.cfm

goodtimesfishing

Thanks for the replies. After some reading I think I will go with the Montana. For some reason I thought they both used the cam, seeing that the blackfoot is not cam operated is what made my decision.

Pup

I see that you've made your decision.

Though, just to reinforce, I have three vises available to me.  One is an older Regal, another a Dyna-King Barracuda, and the one I tie the most on... A Griffin 3ARP.

The Griffin is my favorite.

Kdog

Check the full lineup of Griffen vises
http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/modules/store/Vises_C38776.cfm

I currently use a NorVise which is thumbwheel but holds very well. Love the true rotary feature. Vise took some getting used to, but I am glad I stole it on Ebay! Really though, it depends on what you are tying. I tie jigs and poppers and this vise and accessories have many functions that I do not use but the autobobbin is nice once you get it mastered. There are a lot of really nice vise and if I had oodles of dollars would like to try some of the really high end vises read as renzetti, dyna king, PETITJEAN SWISS BASE VISE, and if really curious the Law bench vise - I watched one of these on Ebay go for over $2,000

Back