Grey squirrel

bucktail

Thanks Jay and BF..this is a 3/32nd oz head..alot softer than bucktail for sure,I like the natural look but am going to dye a few and see how that works out

Jay Wirth

I dye blue, orange, yellow, and green; I also use red squirrel (chip monk) and have good results from all. The tri colored hair presents a very nice natural look. I would love to get my hand on a black squirrel pelt and tail. I have seen these animals about two hours North of me around N Syracuse, NY they are a little bit large than our typical gray squirrel.

bucktail

I have a few of these in my neighborhood Jay,one has a half tail ,he is a lucky one,then there is the chosen one ,lol....there really are more than this just these two I notice often
Funny thing was the only buck I seen during rifle season last yr had no tail,I said "god likes you"...lol
I figure he was a tacked by a coyote when he was younger,I have never seen this before
Gods way of telling me there is more to this specie...haha
feel free to post a pic of how you tye squirrel...IIke to see them
side note a fella is sending me over 20 grey tails for just the shipping cost,...can't wait to see these
in return I'm tying him some marabou steelhead jigs free of charge

Jay Wirth

Jacquard dye if I can get it but I also have good results with Rit heated just below boiling with vinegar & water. You can also get dyed tails from Barlows & Haggens

bucktail

Thanks for response ,only reason I'm trying to dye myself is I got 20 tails and may never need to buy one for awhile if I do 4 of each

bucktail

Thanks Attica,Guy just sent me 22 squirrel tails for just shipping cost....he said send a check for 6.88...lol
I sent him more than enough plus a dozen jigs,now to get the dye for a few....

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a good deal o me. I have a buddy who was just telling me about some coyote hunting he has been doing. I told him that if he can get me a few tails that i can keep him supplied with enough smallie jigs to get him through several seasons! Hoping he gets a few more yotes and can clip some tails.

bucktail

My cousin is a taxidermist,think I finally talked him into keeping anything he doesn't need ,he does all his own fleshing and
tanning ,hope to score a bit of everything ,

Back