Goldie streamer

redear

anyone here ever tie a goldie streamer made popular by the late Dick Empie? It is made with a mylar flat braid that is called bills bodi braid, and usually has a brass bead up front and fire orange thread for a collar just behind the bead. I bought some of this mylar and have started tying a few of these, gillbuster just really does well with these, I think he may be a member here.

redear

I haven't fished them yet but I notice that when tied with a bead that they will dive head first in the pool as soon as you quit stripping so I tied a few up without a bead for use in shallow ponds and those things just glided around and sunk very slowly, I guess I need to fish some different colors too in order to find the best one for my fishing spots. been using a 2x heavy nymph hook from umqua u seies and 5 bucks for 50 from bluequill angler I am very happu with them! they are very very sharp for a heavier wire hook, got the 105 model in size 6. the bodi braid mylar is pretty expensive at 7.75 for 30 yds but what the heck. I got that stuff from whitewater flies and went with the spooled stuff so as not to have any kinks in it.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Have never used them, but lots of river guys talk about using the Kreelex pattern for trout and smallmouth. It is very similar looking to the goldie streamer pics i have found. Majority of the Kreelex patterns call for using flashabou... if i am not mistaken, you can get flashabou type material really cheap from Fly Tyers Dungeon.

redear

thanks for the info AT! I'll check that out. I like the bills bodi braid too if it's on a roll without the kinks left by being on a tiny card. one thing I found that made these goldies easier to tie is by using a soft bristle brush to unravell the fibers. I have an old brush with natural soft bristles that has holes for a broom stick and it works great. has a much smoother look when brushed out instead of picked out. and have also been putting a little wool on the hooks shank underneath the collar, this makes the collar flair a little and gives the fly some substance, this wool thing can be added to alot of flies and threadneck type jigs, it's a great addition if you think the pattern needs just a little extra of something to make it right.

Back