Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear nymph

AllenOK

I finally tied some of these up.  I followed Kelly Galloup's pattern from his video on youtube about it, with a few minor changes.  I did a bead-head with lead wire for weight (he uses split shot), a dubbing noodle for the abdomen instead of a dubbing loop, and I used a brown olive thread instead of the burgundy thread that Kelly uses for nymphs (it's his signature).

These are size 14.  I tested them out on some Bluegills not far from home.  I managed to catch several of them until I donated the fly to a Fir tree.  Good thing I tied a bunch!

View attachment 3

Attachments

• 20160926GRHE.JPG
    20160926GRHE.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 36

Fatman

Nice ties - you can tie them in all shades. When I first learned how to tie them it was some short fur from around the nose, some from the cheek and some from the head of the rabbit skin. They do work well!

AllenOK

Fatman, I was using a bag of dubbing that I had. I've also got a Rusty Orange Hare's Ear w/ Antron dubbing mix.

You are right about using fur from different spots on the mask. I do have a mask, but decided to go with the bagged stuff. Judging from the numbers of fish I caught, I think they're all effective.

I'm really surprised about the size of fish I was catching verses the size of the fly. Those are Eagle Claw Wet/Nymph hooks size 14. Probably a 1x or 2x long hook compared to normal wet-fly hooks. Some of the fish I was catching were only 4" long! Of course, the Fall "feed" is starting. The fish are eating like mad to put on weight for Winter.

I need to get on a stream for some Smallies :)

Back