Going to do an experiment soon

dmm26

Went fishing for perch yesterday, and threw all my newly made jigs at them, only to be rejected.

A good ol jig head and a minnow were the ticket.

I got to wondering a few things.

Was it just the wrong kind of jigs?

Why bother tying jigs of you just end up tipping them with real bait?

I wonder, if it's the meat or the scent or both from the minnow that induces the strike?

At any rate, I want to try a day with just jigs that I've tied, then another day spraying them with scent spray, and another day of just a jig and a minnow, and see what the results are.

Anyone have any insight before I try?

Jig Man

Looking forward to hearing the results. One thing I would recommend, start keeping a log book. When you get my age you will see specific patterns at different times of the year over the years. And it would be sompin your kids and grandkids would cherish for a long time.... JAT

hookup

JM gives good advise. Add area's too. Sometimes fish won't eat a jig, and other time that'll all they'll eat.

Add an ounce of biology to your log book & you'll be limiting out often.

In my waters, there's times when all I'll throw is top water and they won't eat anything else. Other times spinnerbaits. But when the jig bites on, nothing like the 'tic' of a small mouth sucking up a home made jig.

Kdog

Jig Man said:
Looking forward to hearing the results. One thing I would recommend, start keeping a log book. When you get my age you will see specific patterns at different times of the year over the years. And it would be sompin your kids and grandkids would cherish for a long time.... JAT

I'll second that one. I have my fathers fishing log going back to 1946 the year he got out of the Navy. I keep it up to date but rally enjoy some of his stories.

AllenOK

I'm another one to approve of a fishing log. I use a spreadsheet. I'll track all sorts of things, from weather, light, water temp, water level, phase of the moon, etc.

I would make one recommendation about your proposed field trail. I would NOT recommend trying one tactic on one day, and a different tactic a different day. There are way to many factors that give play into what makes fish feed or not. Many of those factors can change in a day (sometimes as little as a few hours).

I would recommend recruiting some friends to go fishing with you, and test out each "possibility" at the same time. Each person tries a different lure/bait. Try to keep the rigs identical, or as close as possible.

Pup

Not to be a killjoy here, but I say...

Forget the log book and fish with someone who may fish quite a bit more than you, or, differently than you. Then add the shared experience to your memory bank. It's a whole lot of fun and your friendship gained is worth a ton in my opinion.

Who really likes to have to do data entry anyway? :p ;)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I know you are way up North so assuming you are talking about ice fishing.

Yellow Perch............. i do not get a ton of them through the ice, but don't think i have EVER caught one with out some type of 'meat' tip. All my yellow perch are found in deep (15'+) lakes around here. Usually minnow heads are best but have gotten them on small spoons with waxies too. There are some reports from lakes in Michigan (i've heard a few from St. Claire) where they get them on beaded spoons and do not have to use bait. Mostly in shallow water though from what i have read.

Every once in a while i will find a group of bluegill that are aggressive and will take micro jigs without any meat through the ice. Crappie & bass seem to be a little easier to get to chase jigs with out any kind of bait. If they are moving fast on the flasher..... kip, bucktail or hackle jigs can work outstanding.

Once it goes back to softwater, can get a few perch on twister tail grubs on road runner type jigs in the spring, but no huge numbers. Do have really good results using bright painted jig heads with a long night crawler trailing way out the back. Maybe half a crawler on a 1/10, 1/16 or 1/24 head. Yellows seem to be one of the most picky bait feeders i fish for. If i am after perch, i tend to rely on bait more.

AllenOK

AF, have you ever gouged out the eyeball of a just-caught Yellow Perch and used that for bait? I've heard they have a particular fondness for eyeballs.

I know there's a pattern for an "Eye Fly" over on FAOL. I wonder if we can come up with an "Eye Jig" ?

Uncle Grump

Just a thought on the idea of two/more people fishing side by side....

a jig (baited or not) could be an attractor - but the actual take could be a dead stick (ie minnow and bobber), simply because chasing the jig is to much "work" for the fish. Have seen crappie behave this way - no reason why perch or 'gills wouldn't behave the same way.

UG

dmm26

I'm thinking if I take a buddy, and we both have 2 lines in.
And we put the same jigs on and dead stick them all. We'll find out what's gonna work the best.

As said above though, it is dependent on the day. But I think it'll be interesting nonetheless.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
AllenOK - I have heard of that approach before, but need some one to give me a lesson on how exactly you 'pop' out their eye. Tried it in the past and made a mess with very little of anything to attempt to put back on a hook. I must be doing it wrong. :p

I have seen the pattern on FAOL also. The style 'Crappie Jig' (not sure the number for the head shape, just a flat circle) has about the perfect shape to paint an eye ball and then maybe add wool below on the shank for the torn out look. Red magic marker to top it off. Could be wrong but thinking someone made one similar to that on here some time ago. Maybe member papaperch?

AllenOK said:
AF, have you ever gouged out the eyeball of a just-caught Yellow Perch and used that for bait? I've heard they have a particular fondness for eyeballs.

I know there's a pattern for an "Eye Fly" over on FAOL. I wonder if we can come up with an "Eye Jig" ?

AllenOK

AF, have you ever shucked oysters? I'm thinking it might be the same to amputate a fish eye? A paring knife or fillet knife is probably not the best way to go. Maybe a "clam knife", similar to a paring knife but with a rounded tip? Maybe a Tomato Shark (jagged little thingie used to core a tomato)?

Pup

AllenOK said:
Maybe a Tomato Shark (jagged little thingie used to core a tomato)?

So that's what it's called... Thanks for enlightening me. :)

I believe I've read that some Appalachian brook trout fishermen used to clip the pectoral fins off of their catch and use them as bait to catch other brook trout. They are cannibalistic. There's even a red/white fly tied for them called a 'trout fin'. Similar to this eyeball thing, maybe? :)

Next, maybe a discussion of amino acids, proteins, or pheromones? ;)

Back