Glue heads

Jungleboy

So... I got this bright idea this morning that hot melt glue would make a great jig head material. I got the old mold out and went to work . It was pretty simple , no need to pre heat the mold just heat the gun up and squirt in the glue . Sets up a bit slower than lead but seemed to work fine. Not sure how well they will work but am thinking the translucent head tied with yellow deer hair might be a a reasonable imitation of a headless minnow or something fish food like
IMG_2729.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_2732.jpg
[/URL][/img]

ACAMS

It will probably float, may have to use flash, or synthetics to get it to sink ....... SUPER idea and I think I am gonna try that this spring when they are up in the moss.

Lostleader

I don't know if it will work, but that is as clever as it comes. I to am intrigued as to know if it works, as I am not crazy about melting lead.

Jungleboy

ACAMS said:
It will probably float, may have to use flash, or synthetics to get it to sink ....... SUPER idea and I think I am gonna try that this spring when they are up in the moss.

You are right they do float . going to have to try something else to get em under the surface

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool idea! If those float......... river walleye guys would love them carolina rigged with a twister tail when the 'eyes run up the river to spawn. Not sure how durable the head would be with the toothy critters. Great outside the box thinking.

Pup

Very cool. I might attempt this with a POP mold that I'll make. A small split shot or lead wire at the eye bend could, possibly, weigh down the jig head for me.

Do you sand or file the heads down at all? Most look fairly smooth.

Jungleboy

Pup said:
Very cool. I might attempt this with a POP mold that I'll make. A small split shot or lead wire at the eye bend could, possibly, weigh down the jig head for me.

Do you sand or file the heads down at all? Most look fairly smooth.

You stole my thunder I was thinking the same thing :). Put a split shot on the hook before molding the head.

I just used my doit mold .set the hook in and squeezed the glue in. I nipped off the sprue with a razor blade, that"s it

Jungleboy

Hawnjigs said:
Certainly an innovative idea but what practical use for such a light jig head?

For me it was the idea that it would be a slower sinking jig ( I only have the one mold that makes 1/4oz heads) It was mostly an experiment but could lead to other ideas .

papaperch

How about using as a surface fly for gill and other surface feeders ? Use your imagination guys. I am going to try this but with a 1/64 or 1/80 ball head. Tie with some hackle and a little tail. If need to go sub surface small split shot above no problem.

Used in conjunction with a fly rod this could lead to an extremely deadly presentation on the surface To me would be a lot easier than tying the foam bugs I use for surface now. Every one knows how those foam spiders slay the gills. A spider or an ant pattern on one of these whoo hoo.

I don't know about durability either and don't know how glue would take to painting. But I admire the out of the box thinking. But I am thinking its a helluva good idea that I am going to experiment with. Thanks for posting the technique.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Guys are always wanting to have their bait float a little when carolina riggin. Papa i wonder if a tube head made this way would be good for doin what youre talkin about?

papaperch

I experimented with the tube jig mold and two different sizes on the round head mold. Jig formed ok. The heads of glue seem to be simpatico with an acrylic paint so far. But all the heads sank slowly but they sank. Brand of glue I was using was adtech. Whatever I did I could not get any head to float. Tied one up with some guinea hackle. It floated for about 10 seconds then sank.

Kinda cools me off on this project cause if it won't float it won't interest me at all. Maybe Jungleboy glue type is more buoyant but mine is not for sure.

ACAMS

The deer hair is what made the first one float.
Why I said to use synthetics or flashaboo to get it to sink.

Use a big long piece of deer hair and it should float well.

Back