Glitter & PP - Trial, Error, and Learning

Pup

I've been reading the many informative posts here about adding glitter to powder paint, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Purchased some NST brand glitter from Flower Factory and some Darice "Halloween" glitter from a local Meijer store. The former is very fine, but the latter is pretty chunky.

I mixed them with two of my my Harbor Freight PP mixtures. Well, here are the results.

The first is a swim jig that I'll use to cast into and around schools of gizzard shad.

rosethroat003.jpg

The fine red NST glitter lost much of it's relectiveness after baking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

The next jig is a kreature style bait that's relatively new to my tying collection. It's an eyelash yarn, chenille, and craft fur combo.

hairkreature003.jpg

The jig head shows just a few reflections of orange/copper glitter. There is no reflectiveness by any of the black glitter. Nearly all of the "chunk" glitter became coated by paint. However, it created an interesting texture that I'm going to pursue in the future with clear powder paint. Again, I baked this jig at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Each jig weighs about 1/4 of an ounce and has a red, 1/0 EC Lazer Hook.

There was a jig that was sold in Western Indiana back in the early 70s called a "Sugarhead", I believe. The jig's head looked like it was coated by sugar granules/crystals and was very hard. The one that I remember best had an orange head with all-black marabou body. It caught fish and had a welcome place in my jig box.

The combination of orange "chunk" glitter with clear powder paint may be an interesting and feasible way of reproducing this jig today.

More experimentation and results to come, as time and materials permit...

This is interesting and fun. :jig: :icon14:

Radtexan

Looking good pup...I am going to get a couple #'s of clear in the next couple days...Got one guy on TFF that wants some..You and Doc want to get in on a small qty ????

I can get you close to 1/2 # for about 6.00 plus whatever mail would run to ya ?

Pup

Rad,

Count me in too. :icon14: Please PM me your details regarding payment and shipping. If I need to do any legwork on my end, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your offer. :cool:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That creature bait is awsome!!!! Rad has mentioned before about using clear with the glitter. I haven't tried it with gliter other than that already mixed into powder and those colors (watermellon flake, junebug, copperhead and so on) seem to be mostly made up of clear with only a little actual colored paint. I have made my own candy colors with a mix of 8:1/clear:color and it does let whatever is underneath show through.

There is some info on Jann's about using glitter in powder... http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/powder_paint_fishing_lures.htm

Wow - $6 for a half pound????? Can i can i can i can i get in also? If it is possible, i understand if not and is already spoken for to be split up - just let me know next time! So you have local access to it at that price..... what all colors do they have?

Radtexan

Guy's Ive been looking at a couple options and would like to open it up to as many that would like to try some...Working on a couple options right now.

Locally I can buy the clear for 10.95 per #...Its good but Ive been wanting to try some super high gloss clear,that I can only find at Columbia coatings..its a little more expensive,plus some shipping to where ever we decide to distribute it from...Let me get the totals nailed down and Ill get a group split totaled up tomorrow,the more the merrier !!!

Nightprowler

Has anyone else had any problems with the clear showing cracking lines? I've been working with clear the last few weeks and have noticed some jig showing fine cracks after being cured. It's usually along the base of the jig where the clear tapers off to the non covered hook shank.
Let me know about the HG Clear when you find out the details if you would please.
NightProwler

Back