Gamakatsu 604 replacement?

Shoemoo

After taking my walleye head mold down to the local tackle shop, I found the 3/0 Gamakatsu 604 will fit the 3/8th and 1/2 ounce cavities with only minor modification. 4/0 will probably fit the 5/8 cavity, but they didn't have any for me to check. At $.37 to $.50 each even at the bulk vendors, Gamakatsu definitely ain't giving them away. I'm hoping I can find an equivalent hook for less. Gamas run small, so I'm assuming other manufacturers will be up a size.

The Mustad 32833 is great but doesn't come big enough. The Mustad 32786 might work, but it's a 60 degree hook so I assume it will require trimming some flash. The Owner 5319 is said to be a good match, but it only comes in 3/0 and 5/0 and is even more expensive. I'll be pouring these for salmon, so I really need extra strong or better. What else is out there?

toadfrog

I haven't put all those type hooks to an extreme test but I do know that mustad sea guard hooks are nearly or just as strong as any of those expensive hooks . They just don't come in black or any type colors . They a silver because of the duratin coating . Not quite as sharp but a hook is a hook to me . It's a 50/50 chance of striking solid meat either way ya go .

Hawnjigs

KISS
Like Toad says the Mustad "Classic" 91715 is forged heavy wire strong, tho I no longer use em cuz they require sharpening and the shank is longer than I like. I've got some left of the Ultra Point round bend version in 3/0 if you'd like to try some - stronger temper and perfect honed points. Discontinued years ago, but maybe you can find some other sizes of these 91725s if you dig around. Of course, fitting heavy wires into a light wire mold requires modification.

The 32786 MIGHT fit with mods, but the gap might be excessively wide for salmon(?). And actually, while the Gami 604 is pretty sturdy, the steelhead-salmon 2x version is 2554.

My favorite 32833 is available up to 6/0, tho the mold fit challenge can be extreme.
http://lurepartsonline.com/Shop-By-...ustad-32833-90-HD-Jig-Hooks-Black-Nickel.html

Hawnjigs

KISS
BTW Shoe, do you have the forward hook eye or center balance version? If the center, you might have to cut new hook eye slots further towards the nose to accomodate short leg hooks if that is your choice. Are you planning to trim off the collars for tying?

Shoemoo

The 2554 is also great, but it stops at 2/0.

Matzuo used to make a 2x sickle hook, but they're discontinued and finding them is practically impossible.

Hmm. For some reason I thought the 32833 stopped at 2/0. I'll have to see if I can get a few.

I have the center balance mold with eye sockets. The 604 is also short leg and didn't seem to interfere with the sockets, but I haven't tried pouring in it yet. I don't really care if the hook shank shows through. Eyes on these jigs are not important so I'll dremel them out if necessary.

Not too worried about the gap size. Salmon have big mouths.

king-chinook-salmon.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Checked the Gami site, looks like the 3/0 2554 was discontinued. THINK I saw them available originally, tho had no use for em.

Barlows only carries 32833 up to 2/0. 32786 is slightly more economical if you can work with the shorter shank wider gap profile & the 60* eye leg.

Since some are raving about the new L-BP Eagle Claws I got some 786 clone samples last week and suffice to say you get what you pay for. On the other pricing extreme the Owner 5313 is nice tho not quite 2x. And, theres the 5316 2x. These Owners have the longest legs of the heavy wire 90s, sometimes stock fitting or requiring less brutal mods to fit.

Shoemoo

On the subject of 60 degree hooks, I wonder if the Matzuo 152010 would work. They're only 1X, but a lot of the guys who fish pin and bead jigs out here use them.

Just wish I didn't have to order 50-100 hooks at a time. It would suck to find out they didn't fit.

Pup

Shoemoo said:
Just wish I didn't have to order 50-100 hooks at a time. It would suck to find out they didn't fit.

Ask your supplier for samples first. They might be OK with this, especially if you have a positive order history with them. If no history, you might order something you need to "ride along" with the samples when you ask. If they say no to samples in this case... :dodgy: :icon13:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Matzuo didn't appear to have a standard 152xxx, and I've seen 3 different versions - Xheavy wire red, heavy wire black, & medium wire EWG black. The blacks look plenty beefy, close to 32786. Of course, those 60* Sickles were disco-ed in 2006, and only available now from those who stocked up back when. I like the black 60*s slightly narrower gap compared to 32786. Modifying a 90* mold for 60* is more challenging than 90-90.

I'd suggest you consider one of these for minor mold mods.
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResu..._Tool Brands&gclid=CKb32MWBlbwCFU5efgodhg0ANw
Dremel offers a cheap press, but according to reviews you get what you pay for.

Back