gadgets around the house

bucktail

I know each of us has a gadget not for tying but comes in handy more often than not
wanted to start a thread and let all members post pics or describe these items
Mine is a 4" magnetic dish for mechanics,and my small needle nose pliers for painting,I put the small jaws over the eye of the hook so I never have to clean it out..never
I thought of this thread yesterday as I watched a YouTube video of a fella I been subbed too had a upload of his gadget,a magnetic bingo wand,this will be bought by me I think it will be a great tool to have around when handling hooks when pouring ,also if you drop hooks

Kdog

Somewhere in the archives is a post I made a long time ago about getting started or useful tools or something along those lines, but I cannot find it.
My Favorite is a long hanfled magnetic pick up tool. Great for dropped jigs, spilled hooks etc,

but here is a small list. Another endless list several sets of forceps, needle nose pliers, side cutting pliers, jewelers pliers, various probes, couple small files, scissors.. etc.. etc.. I made a simple stand from a 1x12 and 2x4 into which I drilled holes for each item. Also it provides handy work surface for assembling as well as cleaning jigs

bucktail

Thanks for sharing kdog
another thing I keep on my desk is a lint roller,clean up is easy

hookup

forceps for painting
hook cleaner tool

And other than bobbin, vice that's it. I'm low maintenance

bucktail

Low maintenance is fine but these are things we all need for tying I'm looking outside the box and just trying to get ideas that make life easier,life is good

macon1

Make a bracelet using the Velcro hook material so the hooks face outward....making this bracelet  complete by securing the ends together with a piece of the loop Velcro.  To use, Place the bracelet on your fingers like  Brass knuckle and use it to comb out tangles in a number of materials.  I like to use mine for combing rabbit strips, inkling crosscut skirts, artificial furs, teating out furs on yarns.  Good Fishing, Macon

hookup

Macon - I use a soft bristol baby's hair bruch to 'comb' out my jigs

Fatman

With you on the velcro for brushing out materials and blending but I put it on different size popsicle sticks
100_5560.jpg

Different type of forceps - a buddy uses them for those times when an eyelet gets clogged up, but you can use them for anything
100_7398.jpg

Make your own Zonker strip cutter - never seen one in the catalouges and I have several different sizes
100_7190.jpg

100_7269.jpg

100_7258.jpg

Pup

img-thing

Hair Clip - Holds long materials like feathers and flashabou against the barrel of the vise.  Keeps them straight and out of the way while tying.

28900-1000-1-2ww-m.jpg

Hobby Awl - Far more useful to me than a "bodkin" (dubbing needle).  Sturdy enough to pluck out any over-tied materials without bending.

020711_1.jpg

Sewing Bodkin - Use like hackle pliers or forceps to hold hanging materials in place.

US-51031-01.jpg

Combination Eyelash Brush/Comb - Comb out underfur from fur cuts.  Brush away feather or fur trimmings from jig collars.

Back