G Loomis S720

baitmaster

When I heard that G. Loomis was terminating the custom blank program, I picked up a S720, 6', 1 piece, UL, 1-4# for my own use. It sat lonely in my garage for some time....well, I finally decided to wrap it.

Since this is the only G Loomis blank I will get to wrap for myself, I wanted it to be very special. The handle is a checkered cork pattern around a Fuji graphite reel seat. I probably bit off too much for my first cork slicing project, but it is for me and I like it anyways. The guides are Fuji Alconite size 25-16-12-10-8-6, and a 4.5 tip. The guides are wrapped with size A in the closest color to my Patriarch (the reel I plan on using with this rod).

My entire goal on this rod was to make the fulcrum point of the rod be right at the reel foot. Since I do lots of jigging in deep water, wanted a perfect balance. After lots of leverage and fulcrum calculations, a bunch of trial and error, and constant adjustments for the action and bend of the rod. I came what I feel is a great balance.

A few friends have looked at it and some belive that another guide would help the action of the rod. I Think the spacing at the tip could have been a bit closer, but I fear the rod action will become too heavy if I add another guide. I once over weighted a rod with too many guides and the action was horrible. I trust the option and collective 100 years of fishing experience of these 2 friends, so I may just add another guide after a few evaluation trips. BTW....both of them told me I put too many guides on the rod that I over weighted, and I wouldn't listen then. I may just be getting old enough to be taught!

Anyways......Here it is
View attachment 9

View attachment 1

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 85
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 85

Fatman

Baitmaster

If the rod is working and feels really balanced and feels right to you, then it's good. The handle is really nice!!!! Let us know how it works out in testing

JUNGLEJIM1

I have the Premier version of that blank before Loomis started the GL series back in the 80's. It was factory made with 5 guides plus the tip. It's a great rod and I've been using it a lot lately. I think the spacing from the pictures look great from the photos. Where would an extra guide go on this rod? I used a GL2 version of that blank that Sonny loaned me when I was out there last year and it was a blast on those Perris gills in deep water. I think that rod will catch you a lot of gills,interested in how it would handle one of those big channel cats. I really like that handle,wish I had a wrap like that on my premier.

baitmaster

Thanks everyone.

JJ- This rod is also a GL2. The full model nuber onthe blank is S720-GL2. It has great action and I can't wait to hook a monster on it.

Back