Funny how anglers believe they can 'target' certain fish species with lures

SPOONMINNOW

Questions arise such as what should I cast to catch perch or sunfish or crappie or trout? Using small lures is the answer to this question: what lures catch all fish species? How many times have you caught four species on the same lure in the same lake on the same day? I usually do - sometimes more than four. In fact, I may catch an unusual species I never expected would strike my lures.

All fish strike lures for the same reason: provocation. Fish senses sense the lure's presence, how it moves and reacts or not. Many reasons believed strikes happen:
hunger, targeting a certain prey animal, territorialism, anger, gluttony, etc. Labeling a strike is just that - putting a name to something that may or may not be accurate.
But does that name or title given to why fish struck increase or restrict one's choice of lures? Nice thing about small jigs regardless of the material used on or with them is the universal nature of the lures when it comes to any fish striking them regardless of when one fishes them. In fact, the sky's the limit when it comes to small jigs lures. The only other consideration is jig weight and hook size.
As with any lure that catches different species, very small to very large fish can be caught using them.

Examples of similar or same lures that caught different species on the same day in the same lake:
Thin sticks (note the clear plastic stick and four species):
JTBIkpC.jpgEdGAvb5.jpgpwp5oYE.jpg
PttaLTN.jpg

Curl tail added to segment of French Fry stick:
QQd7c0h.jpgmFBjOa3.jpgJ2vho6X.jpg

Spike tail added to another body (note the three species):
FKmc4ZR.jpghtSlN6t.jpgyFflBYp.jpg

Crappie Magnet tail added to a worm segment:
xQsgkLJ.jpgVXuELYA.jpg

There are many more examples but you get the picture. These are not exceptions to the rule but are the rule.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
EZr to target species here with no bluegills, crappies, or perch present and largies & smallies separate in different bodies of water. Nowadays my fave target is wallys with appropriately specific lure choices in Spring & early Summer at nite, during warmer weather it'll be smallies daytime. and during serious hot spells pond largies may be the best option. Cats are always a bycatch possibility both day & nite sometimes abundant enuf to target with Gulp soft baits. And primarily trout in Winter.

So I guess predominant species availability relative to location and time matters.

Last edited:

SPOONMINNOW

Of the 30 or so waters I've fished in different states, except small shallow rivers, I've never not caught many fish species in those waters at one time or another and at least 4 species per outing. None of those waters hold walleye or musky and few had northern pike. Plus I've never had fewer than half a dozen colors to choose from when it came to most lure types. Color brightness is also a choice along with hue - neither critical to catching fish where I fish.

Lure type and size does matter when it comes to catching larger vs smaller fish species. Example: panfish don't strike spinnerbaits, large crankbaits and surface lures, skirted jigs & trailers whereas bass and pickerel do. So you could say targeting fish refers to fish species-by-size depending on lure type & size whereas most species strike small lures that can be worked slowly anytime active-prone fish are found.

Lure types are more restricted ice fishing and if a particular species is in a school, then that's the species predominantly caught, though other species can be caught in the school. Water temperature and seasonality force me to restrict my lure choices if under 45 degrees in spring and fall and fish location can change by the week.

superstition - a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation.
I try as much as possible to not casually accept anything that doesn't get proven over time by trial & error. Flukes are exceptions to the rule and though nice when they happen, not reliable.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
One thing we have in common SM is the experience that small jigs will catch most anything from dinks to larger specimens of more voracious predators. Thinking since discovering the effectiveness of the 1/16 #6 inch tie I'll try to push the limits on warm water species this season. When practical of course as brisk moving water requires heavier weights and at night I'll need the usual high vis 3" pearl plastics on heavier heads & gear for still water wallys and wipers as big as they get here.

Tested and proven this Winter is the effectiveness of the light head stubby fur tie for any size trout here, enuf so that it will replace my previous go to 2" Gulp or Power Bait minnow on a heavier 1/14 or 1/11 #2 hook head.

So far, fortunate that trying new stuff = progress and my purpose for posting is to share successful ideas with others. Just tied some heavier 1/8 black ball stubby black mink ties with an unusual short shank wide gap #6 hook that won't be overwhelmed by the upsize head like a standard light wire #6 for better sink in fast water.

Credit for my current success with small tied jigs goes to JiggerJohn for his tutoring and sharing.

SPOONMINNOW

Hj, in many respects we are on the same page.
Both of us pay attention to lure details - especially those that contribute to catching fish consistently.
1. discovering based on our experiences such as that we both value 1/16 oz with # 6 hook. You have discovered the success of using heavier jigs in certain scenarios. Details matter!
2. Tested and proven - something we continually do, though not to exclude other options, by
3. trying new stuff = progress
When it comes to lure details - always in combination - we remember what possibly contributed to their success which may replace those we found of less value.
In my original post I show the many shapes and actions that catch all kinds of fish - none better than the others. I take note of visual characteristics of each such as the thin tail flutter, curl tail whip-flap, spike tail waddle, claw tail flap and point twitch and go from there, discovering variations of each that catch inactive fish to strike. Few fish IMO are active most of the time, but our lures spark a momentary aggressiveness that is outside a fish's control. Again JMO.
The above may be a form of labeling but I got to start somewhere when it comes to the possible reasons for lure designs that do well. Plus I've found that others have used those shapes and actions and done just as well.

Each of these lures is unique / each catches fish :
IMG_5036 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, if nothing else focus on details and continual innovation is good exercise for aging senior minds.

I've fished with guys who same ol' worm dunk routine and like to think my jig catches might be a good wakeup.

Back