Float n flys

JUNGLEJIM1

These are some of what I've been working on during our recent cold spell. Ice has been off the small lakes and ponds for five days so water is still very cold. I was using a 1/48 with a #10 sickle hook under a weighted float and caught a couple nice crappie and a bass yesterday. Biggest crappie was 14.5 inches long.  View attachment 2View attachment 3View attachment 4View attachment 5

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 26

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful looking ties as usual, the crappie seem to think so too. 14.5" is a chunk!

Stuck in between here.... there is still ice in the main lakes and reservoirs with an open water gap around pretty much whole shoreline.

RockGeo

Jungle Jim, those jigs look like real crappie getters to me. Nice work! These "duck jigs" that you tie are pretty new to me. I see three colors of feathers on your jigs. Are these all mallard flank, just different dyes? Also, what is the "hair" under the feathers or is it some type of hackle? I'm interested in tying some of these but I'm unsure how to go about it. Thank you for your help.

RockGeo

RockGeo

Jungle Jim, I was referring to just the top photo. I noticed an even larger number of colors in the second photo. Where is a good source for the feathers that I presume to be mallard flank? Thanks again!

RockGeo

JUNGLEJIM1

The darker feathers are gadwall and the lighter ones are mallard flank feathers. The hair that I tie in at the throat is opossum. I used to buy my feathers off ebay but for the past few years I've been having duck hunters on another site send them to me in exchange for hand tied duck feather jigs. I dye two main colors using Rit neon yellow and pink dye.

RockGeo

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
The darker feathers are gadwall and the lighter ones are mallard flank feathers. The hair that I tie in at the throat is opossum. I used to buy my feathers off ebay but for the past few years I've been having duck hunters on another site send them to me in exchange for hand tied duck feather jigs. I dye two main colors using Rit neon yellow and pink dye.

JJ1,

Again, thanks for the info.  I'll have to get in touch with some duck hunters I know in Minnesota and see if I can get a bag full of feathers this fall.  I'll also have to try the RIT neon yellow dye.

Back