Float-N-Fly Jig Experiments

Pup

Created a bunch of Tulip Paint Eyes for jig heads recently and am working on fashioning a tool to remove adhered eyes from surfaces.  A razor blade buries into and damages surfaces whenever I use it.   The tool should remove the eyes without cutting into a surface or deforming the eye.

Here are some float-n-fly jigs that I created.  Their heads have Tulip Paint Eyes created for my tool tests.  They're about to become stocking stuffers for Christmas gift giving.

S5300003_zpspgife18w.jpg

S5300006_zpsk350dkg7.jpg

All are tied with craft fur available at most big box fabric and hobby stores on 1/16-oz. minnow heads.  Each has a #4 hook.

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

midnight

They are some good lookin Tulip Paint eyes on them good lookin jigs. Someone is going to be very merry at Christmas! X-Acto makes a blade that is flat and has a bevel to it. Works good for me to get the Tulip eyes off the lid. I like Tulip Paint eyes also.

slammingjack

Sweet jigs! Not sure about the removing of the eyes. Are you talking about after you make them?

Pup

Thank you all for your comments. :)

Midnight, Your Exacto knife is a very good idea. I'll check into that, as I do have one and believe that I have several different types of blades stored away somewhere.

Slammingjack, I am speaking of removing the eyes from plastic lids once they've been created, tapped and then have dried/cured.

duffy

Very nice looking ties!
The lid I was using started to get more sticky with use so I gave it a very light spray with some silicone and then wiped it off. It seemed to make it more slippery but I haven't tried it yet to see if it helped with the release. Also haven't tried to see if it leaves any residue on the eye's that would keep them from sticking to the glue yet either.

slammingjack

You can't use wax paper? Seems it would come off easy. Never tried making them so I might be full of it.

Pup

Thanks Duffy. :)

Slammingjack, I might be able to use wax paper if it's taped to the lid.  Though, I want a great deal of surface tension and adhesion of the fabric paint to the lid's surface so that the eyes aren't malformed during their tapping or possibly tapped off.

I've used wax paper whenever I didn't want glues like epoxy or crafter's hot glue to adhere to a surface.  For example, rod cork repairs and making hot glue eyes...
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

Back