Flashabou/Krystal Flash

Pop

Now, the reason I came to Tools & Materials in the first place. Starting to build up a collection of different colors of flash. I have been looking at ways to store/keep the material as laying in a box is getting kinda messy and I can't see what I have and am starting to buy duplicates when at the fly shop. I have been looking at the holder/dispenser that is round at the top and on a pedestal and appear to hang by the zip ties. I have seen nothing else, but I have a problem with price, but there may be a difference I don't see. Most fly shops are selling them for 35.00-37.50 however there is one shop with a price of 19.95. Too big a difference, not to be a difference in product. How are others storing this material, would like some ideas. Thanks, Pop

Helianthus

I use a glass bottle. Put the zip tie part down in and let the flash hang over.

Fatman

Mine are in a box in their orginal bag - IF I ever get a dedicated tying area I'll figure something out but until then I have the same problem.

AndyLane

Right now i have spring clips mounted on the side of my storage shelf(wooden TV stand) and a 1 inch wide piece of wood that is mounted where it extends out in front of my work area. it has a couple of spring clips mounted to it as well. I like to put a zip tie towards the end of the clump of flash and remove the one in the middle. Then I put the end in the spring clamp and it hangs nicely. I do this for flash, synthetic hair ect.... I usually grab whatever flash I'm going to be using and put in clamps in front of me so its easy access then I just hang em back with the others when Im done

StumpHunter

Here is my holder that I built to hold flash.

I cut the 1/4'' plywood 6 1/2'' round. Marked the center point and marked lines from each side to have a placement point. I ended up with 16 spots to hold the flash. Drilled to holes at each spot so that zip ties would go into the holes and hold my flash in place. I then drilled the center hole and attached it to a 1x2x12'' long using a small bolt & nut with washers for spacers in between the holder and the 1x2 arm. I then drilled a hole in the other end of the 1x2 and attached it where I wanted. It is able to swing and the flash holder can turn 360. I also attached the rack out of my toaster oven to have another place to hold more flash if needed and can hang hooks from the rack also. Total cost about 2 bucks :)

Attachments

• flash holder 005.JPG
    flash holder 005.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 133
  • flash holder 002.JPG
    flash holder 002.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 134
  • flash holder 001.JPG
    flash holder 001.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 133
  • flash holder 004.JPG
    flash holder 004.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 133
  • flash holder 003.JPG
    flash holder 003.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 132

Shoemoo

I leave mine in the bag all the time. I cut off a corner of the bag, so I just poke the tip of my scissors through the hole and pull out as much as I need, then cut them off near the zip tie. I usually use one strand per jig, doubled over and cut, then doubled over again. That gives me two strands on each side of the jig. It comes out the perfect length for your average crappie or steelhead jig, and it stays nice and neat in the bag without getting kinked up or stretched out so there's almost no waste.

Pepop

I ain't got room for anything!! Too dang many DRAWERS!!
IMAG0838_zpscd0ddd91.jpg

HeHeHe! I keep mine in the bag too Shoe. I am trying to figure a way to hang them out of the bag in the space I have though.

Pop

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Because of space restraints, I just might go with the small Flashabou holder/dispenser. My son gave me an idea for making one. I don't have the tools to cut a round piece of wood but do have access to a 6 inch hole cutter. The 6 inch piece removed from the wood might just do the job. Thanks again. Pop

Back