Fish in the pan

creekychub

This past weekend I had the whole afternoon to myself to hit the water. I thought I would pack light with a few of my jigs that I tied up this winter. The wind was pushing 20 mph from the south, so I was wading the shallow leeward end of a local lake targeting schooled up yellow bass. I managed one small bass on a red and white jig.
View attachment 4
I wasn't getting much action on the red and white so I switched up to what I'm calling a scruff-dubbed pheasant tail. After I switched up to the smaller/buggier looking jig, action was pretty much non stop with bluegill, rainbow tout, and yellow bass.
View attachment 5
View attachment 6
I caught 10 rainbows but only kept a couple and kept more than a couple yellow bass
View attachment 7
A storm was blowing in so I moved to another spot (windblown point) just before it hit, and I caught several more bluegill and yellow bass, 3 yellows were 11" long. Once the storm blew over, it became dead calm and the bite was off.
Topped off basket..
View attachment 8

Attachments

• red and white bass.jpg
    red and white bass.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 61
  • blugill.jpg
    blugill.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 61
  • trout.jpg
    trout.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 61
  • basket 1.jpg
    basket 1.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 60
  • basket 2.jpg
    basket 2.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 60

AndyLane

Looks like you had a great day fishing. I really like that green jig and that is a nice basket of good eats right there. :icon14:

StumpHunter

Great looking mess of fish. Love the looks of your scruff-dubbed pheasant tail jig, bet that one will catch a lot of fish for you. Congrats on the catch.

quivira kid

Do the yellows eat about like a white bass? Somewhat strong taste, but tolerable... make good fish tacos and good for when folks who don't know any better come over. ;)

creekychub

Thanks guys!

Yellow bass (from this lake anyway) taste great, mild and flaky, pretty similar to crappie or bluegill. They're half the size of white bass and are definitely more mild tasting. There also is little or no "red" meat that some have complaints about. From my personal experience, I've found fish flavor can vary from one body of water to another. I like targeting the yellows because they can be really aggressive, put up a good fight on light tackle, and harvest is encouraged around my parts because they're considered an invasive species.

Fatman

We get eel pout, (Older Vermonters call them that!!!, and I didn't know what they were talking bout but it's just brown bullhead). Early spring they have a red line down the meat and we just make a V cut and take it out and takes care of that red meat taste!!

Still waiting for the ice to go out!!!!! Those are really good out of ice cold water!!!!!!!!

Back