first time pouring

fisherb

My wife and i don't get Christmas presents for each other, we just buy ourselves something nice that time of year and tell each other Merry Christmas :). I've been wanting to get into pouring my own for a while, so I bought a hot pot 2, and a couple molds...one for round head jigs, and one for lure bodies (I've been making inline spinners lately). I finally got home from work at a decent time yesterday, so I went on the back patio and poured a few. I only had #4 hooks (just ordered #6 and #8 from ebay and crazy angler), so I poured some 1/16 oz jigs, and some 1/32, 1/16, and 1/8 lure bodies. The jigs turned out ok. It took a few tries to get the lures to turn out. I was pulling the pin too soon and the top of the lure body was not set up yet. But once I got the hang of it those turned out ok as well. Now I just need to get a small file to clean up where I cut the sprue off. This is a whole new dimension to this hobby. I'm looking forward to pouring more.

IMG_20150114_061957777.jpg

AllenOK

Nice. I don't have any jig molds, just bank sinkers and split shot.

I've found that emery boards work good for cleaning up where the sprue was.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I don't pour my own, but do get some heads from the store that need either the sprue cleaned up or flash knocked off. Used to use a file, but after reading others posts about using a knife, now have a small cheap knife set aside that i use for shaving off bad sprues and flash. It is actually very easy to shave them off if the lead is somewhat soft. I like this better because it does not create any dust at all, just be mindful of where the lead chips fall. I 'shave' them over a paper plate then dump the chips into a plastic cup. Have 2 children that occasionally follow me down to my work area and did not like the idea of lead dust on surfaces.

LedHed

Sponsor
Yep - you stumbled down the wrong path.... Get out the check book - LOL.

Practice SAFETY!!

Emery boards work good for smoothing the rough stuff. I use a fine machinist file - doesn't load up too bad.

plateboater

Bad Idea!!!! It only gets worse. Keep area vented! You do not want some of these guys posting there mold stashes!!!!!!!!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
x2 with AtticaFish about avoiding TOXIC lead dust from filing. I use flush cutters to shave and trim. Checked eBay and this
quality made in USA tool is a steal at a fraction of new price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swanstrom-O...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3385e6e50c
EZE-lap Diamond Hones are useful for as needed sharpening - I use Fine & Super Fine.

AF, you've seen my sprue finishing - you should get one of these.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Dude, thats a $50 tool that will last a lifetime with proper care. Notice the stopper screw pin to prevent blade clash. Lacking that, cheap softer steel versions will edge fold quickly, and consequently need constant resharpening for optimal performance. Been there, done that.

BTW, altho hard steel, flush cutter edge hone angles are not amenable to cutting steel wire.

Back