First Pa. Perch and Crappie Trip

Jig Man

Good luck salty... Not sure whether 40 lb test will fit thru the of a #4 syckle hook though!!!

SaltyBuckster

Oh Yea,love perch fishing now.These are first that I have ever caught.First things first.About three miles into the trip a grey fox was laying next to the road.Had to stop and get me a tail.,lol.Got to the lake at about 42 degrees,thought I was infor a freeze out session.The fog lifted and the sun came out and while my fishing partner was rigging up his rods,my slip bobber minnow went down for the count,a legal crappie.If I was in Arizona he would gotten thrown back.Into the bucket he went.Next,my drop looped, double line went down while I was putting another minnow on the other line.Two little perch were hooked.They were about 7' long.He said that they were nice ones,lol.The whole day went like that.We ended up with using about 100 minnows,58 perch,13 crappie,maybe 10 small and largemouth bass.The bass got thrown back.Anything smaller then 5" on the perch got thrown back.An overall wonderfull day.
So for my first day of perch fishing i think i did good, look at my pics and see what u think :D

Attachments

• DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00032.JPG
    DSC00032.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00036.JPG
    DSC00036.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 58

SaltyBuckster

That last shot with the perch in the bucket was probably 2 hours into the trip.We ended up with it full up to the ribbed part.

Jig Man

There is some good eating right there. Nice trip... And I picked up a fox a couple weeks ago that I ran over. Looking forward to seeing what you tye... Might steal some of your ideas!!!

SaltyBuckster

It was a great day.Lots of non stop action.I only had a couple of 1/16 oz. jigs with me and the hooks were kinda big.Live and learn.I'm ready for the next time already.I never thought that I'de be using 3/4 oz. bank sinkers for 7" fish,lol.They hit pretty hard though.My Vintage Mitchell 308 got a workout.Now it's time to get my foxtail stretched and salted.

SaltyBuckster

Here's what I ended up with.All ready for the pan tonight.I just camn't wait.There is the size minnows we were using.

Attachments

• DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 36

SaltyBuckster

The fish were very good.I liked the breaded fried flounder better though.I have to find a recipe without frying.Takes away from the fish,but yes,for a freshwater fish,very tastey.

SaltyBuckster

A lot more good sweet flavor then the crappie and the gills.Perch are my target for eating fish forever,lol.It only cost about $20 to go and get a mess of them too,lol.

papaperch

Nice day and once you get hoked on eating perch look out. I could be wrong on this but judging by the pics the fish you kept weren't kept in a cooler. If they were feel free to ignore my story and advice.

Advice : always put fish to be kept in ice laden cooler. I just use frozen plastic jugs for ice. Beats buying ice for every trip.

Story : Used to keep fish in floating basket or stringer. One day on lake Erie many years ago the perch fishing was so fast and furious. It became difficult to keep pace by putting them in basket. Since all my lunch was gone I just threw them in cooler so I could keep up. This was in dead of summer we fished right up to dark thirty and then had and 1- 1/2 hr trip home. Cleaning fish that night I noticed they looked like when I first caught them. When I ate these fish I also noticed an improvement in taste. Since that day I have always iced my fish. Sometimes early in the spring or late fall I use a spring net to keep fish in until I determine if I am going to catch enough to bother cleaning them. Once I hit more than six or so fish I pull the net and put in cooler. Only bad season is summer . If I have one of those two or three fish days then I end up cleaning them. No sense dumping dead fish back in lake.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a fun day and some of those fish look pretty decent size too. My personal minimum size is 6.5"-7", depends on what lake i am fishing. The way they fillet, even the smaller fish have a good chunk of meat and can easily get all the belly meat.

Best freshwater fish? Thats a tough one, would say in the top 3 but hard to make that order, i like them all. Y.Perch have pretty firm meat similar to bluegill, where crappie are more flaky when you pull the meat apart after cooking.

Yes, ice them down. Just wait till you eat them after an ice fishing trip and they go straight from ~40 degree onto the ice and never thaw till you clean them -you will tell a difference in taste no doubt!

Back