First Finished Jig

jbdesigns

*posted at TU as well, but i thought i'd share with you guys too*
So as many of you might have read, i was trying to find a jig head with a larger recessed eye

I was never able to find exactly what i was looking for so i decided to work on it myself

First i took my 1/8oz round jig head
2s65082.jpg

Then my pliers with two 3/16" rods epoxied on
20f9oux.jpg

I then held the jig in the pliers, but before squeezing i held it over the heat gun for a 10-15 count, and bobs your uncle.
2ykfiix.jpg

After an hour of messing around watching sportscentre i had 40 made up ready for paint.
11b6is2.jpg

and finished
mbhegz.jpg

i know this is very similar to the socket eye jig mold, but I'm going to try the same diameter pin, or 1/8" on a 1/16oz and I've already got a 5/16" pin ready on another set of pliers for the 1/4oz

hookup

Great job on the pliers

Luv it when I see people thinking out of the box

May have to make one myself

Thx for sharing.

jbdesigns

hookup said:
Great job on the pliers

Luv it when I see people thinking out of the box

May have to make one myself

Thx for sharing.

trick is to have a good set of pliers.
also those 2 little rods i used were magnets from a couple off the fridge, worked well putting them together on the pliers and then epoxying them.
also make sure you get enough heat.

LedHed

Sponsor
Damn - very nice. WTG JB! Not sure why you need the heat.... Think somebody on CDC was using vise grips.

Kdog

Nicely Done. I have a bunch of the 1/8" diameter (3mmX3mm) magnets if you need a couple just PM me. I bought them to insert in molds to hold hooks in place and ensure seating.. It works a lot better than I thought it would. If the hook is close, it slips right into place and they never slip when closing the mold no matter how tired you are.

Anyhow, let me know and I can mail you a couple.

jbdesigns

LedHed said:
Damn - very nice. WTG JB! Not sure why you need the heat.... Think somebody on CDC was using vise grips.

the heat helps so much to recess the eye socket.
i tried this morning on the 1/4oz jigs with the 1/4" pins, it didn't recess it at all, it just made it flat
i believe the heat (and a fair amount of it) helps you mold the head

goodtimesfishing

Kdog said:
Nicely Done. I have a bunch of the 1/8" diameter (3mmX3mm) magnets if you need a couple just PM me. I bought them to insert in molds to hold hooks in place and ensure seating.. It works a lot better than I thought it would. If the hook is close, it slips right into place and they never slip when closing the mold no matter how tired you are.

Anyhow, let me know and I can mail you a couple.

KDOG- That is a REALLY COOL idea and since I already have some small round mags I think I will have to do some work to my molds....I really like the idea to hold the hook in place! especially when the mold gets hot....that can really help. Great idea!!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Pressing the eye sockets and magnetizing hook seats are both great ideas. JB, are you pouring the heads? Maybe, the flash by the hook eyes might be caused by the eyes being twisted off center? If the hooks have a "normal"(not brittle) temper twisted eyes can be straightened with pliers before pouring.

jbdesigns

I am not pouring my own jigs, buying off eBay for $0.10 a piece. It's not even worth me thinking of making them

Fatman

If you're just making them for yourself that's not bad - but if you get into selling them get a mold and have someone pin it for you.

jbdesigns

Has anyone else tried this yet?
I'm curious if you would get better results on an aspirin or maybe even a football head?
When I JB weld them on I'm going to make some other mods.
Drill out the centre of the magnet. Very small, 1/16 or smaller. And put in the metal point of a push pin.
Hoping that will keep the pliers in the centre of the sides

Back