First deer jig

Helianthus

Never really worked with deer or black really. Lost Pole's ghost jig from the other week got me wanting to play, so came up with a new color tonight. As normal, camera doesn't capture all the glitter. The deer is body hair, liked the color but still not quite sure how to tie it.

Attachments

• IMGP1825.jpg
    IMGP1825.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 110

toadfrog

Ya might not have settled on how to tie it but I bet you a cup of coffee you get a fish on them .

quivira kid

Those look good. Body hair isn't ideal for jigs because it flares when you put any sort of tension on it..... a lot. It is what fly there use for deer hair poppers because it is hollow and floats. Bucktail is what most use for jigs because it isn't as hollow and won't flare very much if at all!

Helianthus

Thanks everyone

quivira kid said:
Those look good. Body hair isn't ideal for jigs because it flares when you put any sort of tension on it..... a lot. It is what fly there use for deer hair poppers because it is hollow and floats. Bucktail is what most use for jigs because it isn't as hollow and won't flare very much if at all!

--thanks much for the advice

Lost Pole

Regardless if hollow or not, they look great! So, if they sink AND look good, who cares. Im sure Zack knows much better bc hes a talented tyer BUT I think if it flares wider than the fishes mouth can open, id then be worried. As long as the fibers arent overly brittle and will break easily, go for it. Everbody tells me I tie my marabou wrong, but they work for me and others. Catch fish on em bc theyre great lookin' jigs.

Fatman

If you want to stop alot of the flairing of the hair, clip your clump of hair, square the hairs that will go by the head of the jig and before you tie it in wrap your thread around it then tie in. This will help cut down the flair of the hollow hair so much.

quivira kid

Lost Pole said:
Regardless if hollow or not, they look great! So, if they sink AND look good, who cares. Im sure Zack knows much better bc hes a talented tyer BUT I think if it flares wider than the fishes mouth can open, id then be worried. As long as the fibers arent overly brittle and will break easily, go for it. Everbody tells me I tie my marabou wrong, but they work for me and others. Catch fish on em bc theyre great lookin' jigs.

If it catches fish, it can't be wrong, right? That is the bottom line!

Back