First bamboo rod done!

StumpHunter

Got the first rod finished!! Lot of time put in but I like the looks of it and the blue/brown trim stands out nicely. A before and after pic. Now it's time to go try it...:)

Before

View attachment 1

After

View attachment 2

Attachments

• Rod wrapping and rebuilds 006.jpg
    Rod wrapping and rebuilds 006.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 126
  • mis pics of 2011 089.jpg
    mis pics of 2011 089.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 126

toadfrog

My unckle keeps ragging me about making bamboo rods . That is a great job . How much time and materials do you have in it . The answer is probably going to scare me.

StumpHunter

Rad, you can use it as a spinning rod with the bottom section and the heavy top section. It also can be used as a medium and light action rod using the bottom, a middle section and has two top sections for light and med. I plan to have a reel with #5 weight and a spool of #3 weight line with me so I can try the different actions. When put together the light and med sections are 9' long.

Toadfrog, With shipping I gave 75 for the rod. I have close to 50 hours of time in it. The wrapping was not in good shape with two eyes not on the rod so all the wrapping is new and it had three ferrules that were cracked so I replaced them. You can't see in pictures what a rod needs but once you have it in hand it all shows up!! It took a lot of time fitting the new ferrules. All the eyes, ferrules and handle was buffed. It would be hard to put a price on the finished rod.? I have 4 more bamboo rods to refinish. The main thing I was looking for was good straight sections.

JSC

Really looks good ... Lotta work .. were all the sections straight ?? been many years since I had a bamboo rod in my hands ... can remember most of them havin sets in them.

StumpHunter

LOL Scott!!!!! These old Japan rods are not worth much so I guess I have a $400 rod that would bring $40 but it looks nice....
I do have two old split bamboo rods that I plan to completely strip down, those will be nice. I hate to think about the time I'll have in those but it's only a hobby. I have two Japan bamboo rods I thought would be great to learn on before I start on the others.
Hummmm, 14' fly rod????? LOL

ScottV

Ha Ha, it's about like tying jigs, you gonna have way more expense and time in it to sell it for what it's worth on the market. But it's fun and it keeps us something to do.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Heck yeah, looks like a beauty of a rod! Even better with the mix/match ability of it, you have 4 or 5 rods in one. :cool:

Lost Pole

Geezums. That's a lot of dedication. The closest I've came to a boo rod is cutting a stalk of river cane at the creek when I got off work w/o my pole. Dont ask about line n bait.
It looks amazing. I cam only imagine the satisfaction of catching fish eith it after you've spent that much time with it.
Quick question, my grandpa gave me a cheap fly rod Bf he passed. I've fished with it, vertical jigging, many times Bf I bought a jig pole and loved it. Put it up Bf it got broken. I wish more companies would make a rear seat on their jig rods.
I don't understand the "weight" system of fly rods. Can someone explain it to me?
There's one here in a local store that's 9' that I'd like to buy for my son. He's still learning the awkwardness of long poles and this'n is a bit shorter and lighter. What do I need to be looking for as far as the specs?
Beautiful pole, Ronnie. You should be proud.

Adam

StumpHunter

Have not used it yet. Hope to try it out within the next two weeks. The crappie are biting right now so I been trying to hit the lake every chance I get.

Back