Finesse jigging works everywhere!

jiggerjohn

My 34 yr old son and I (and family) just returned from a week's ocean fishing at the Outer Banks of NC. We fished high piers over open seas and low bridges around bay areas. Trouble was, rough November weather gave us some fairly stiff winds, high waves,post  cold front bright skies, and murky waters. What to do?? Break out the UL 5' spinning rods ( Ugly stick has a great new 5 footer in their new E-lite series!), 6.6# test Tectan mono, and Hawn jigs terrific HU flat jighead dressed with 2 1/2" white Gulp minnow bodies. Keith's little jighead( 1/6 oz) glided thru the tumultuous seas without problem (admittedly in relative shallow sections of surf), giving us complete control over the gentle shaking we offered the flat pointy headed, flashy ( Hawn's tin alloy) jig (tied sparsely with orange wool & Joann fabrics' white/gold wedding dress material). Most all the "shark tackle" toting "ole salts" were blanked, while we took sea trout, stripers, flounder and drum ! And, it was a blast to haul in these fighting sea critters with such light outfits -where there is a will there is a way! Proved to us that no matter where you plan to vacation, carry along your small sized jigs!

hookup

Nice post - use to do allot of international travel in my last job. Always had a 5'6" UL Ugly Stix, reel, and a variety of small jigs & pulled some monsters in with the rig. Nice going JJ

Hawnjigs

KISS
64f3833e-afa0-4565-84b4-cb3422e3acc9_zpsl6i29pmw.jpg
dc5b93de-209a-4d4f-8ccf-843fa9ba799f_zpsjekwkiyb.jpg

No matter how I tweak the image in Photobucket,  it loads sideways on the forum.

jiggerjohn

Thanks for puttin' those photos up, Hawn ! Tho that was a breezin, chilly morning at OBX, I'd rather be there(in 50* temps) this morning than the 20* , snowy road conditions I drove in early in the AM here in Pittsburgh!! But by reminding me of those nice UL catches, will have me tying more of your wide HU heads up today (with indoor warmth!!!).

Back