Finally tried an idea I've had....

AllenOK

I've been wondering how folks here paint their ice-fishing tungsten jigs.  The few I've seen look like a basecoat of powderpaint, and then fine details with some kind of liquid paint over the pp.  I've been thinking it was fingernail polish.

I did some for a friend, as he was wanting some powder-painted heads, but was rather insistent that the jigs have eyes.  I got some fingernail polish, and some bamboo skewers, which I sanded the tips off.  I did a nice dip into pp, then back over my oil lamp to melt the pp some (not a full cure).  Painted the eyes on with the skewers. 

View attachment 1

My plan was to reheat the jigs, then dip into 200% clear for a top-coat, then cure them in the oven.  Here's what I got:

View attachment 2

That was weird.  The "eyes" shrank in circumference, but puffed out, forming a weird 3D eye spot.  I have not heard if my buddy likes these or not.

I've done a test by coating a similar jighead with Loon Flow UV Resin and hitting it with a UV torch.  It works as a topcoat, but I'm not sure how durable it is.  I may have to go with a clear epoxy of some kind, or just leave them without a topcoat.  I may even buy a few vinyl paints and give that a go, but working in this basement that I'm renting, with no ventilation, is probably not a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_193820.jpg
    IMG_20180715_193820.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20180715_193340.jpg
    IMG_20180715_193340.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

mjs

Acrylic paint eyes will bake into the powder paint. Maybe give that a try. The puffy eyes could be neat if they are durable.

duffy

That's really wild. Is it just sort of a bubble or are the eye's hard? Got some bug-eyed jigs. I had to re-read your post about using polish for the eyes and sort of wonder if it doesn't melt the PP underneath and then when it dries it shrinks. I know I've had nail polish do weird things with PP when doing an over coat or if I get some on the head from the threads.

AllenOK

MJS, where can I get acrylic paint? In the tubes like Oil paint in hobby stores? The buddy of mine that wanted the jigs likes them as-is, so I sent them. No, they are not durable. Duffy, The nail polish "eyes" kind of foamed up while shrinking and pushing out. Think like how a homemade hamburger shrinks as it cooks. If you apply pressure to the eyes after curing, they will collapse and flake away.

gaspumper

AllenOK said:
MJS, where can I get acrylic paint?  In the tubes like Oil paint in hobby stores?  The buddy of mine that wanted the jigs likes them as-is, so I sent them.  No, they are not durable.  Duffy, The nail polish "eyes" kind of foamed up while shrinking and pushing out.  Think like how a homemade hamburger shrinks as it cooks.  If you apply pressure to the eyes after curing, they will collapse and flake away.

I use an acrylic paint called craftsmart, it says on the bottle you can bake it to 350 degrees.I get it at Michaels, it melts into the powder paint.

AllenOK

Thank you Gaspumper!

Got a bottle of the Black Craft Smart acrylic paint a week ago. Finally got around to painting a couple 1/32 round heads in White PP, dotted the heads with the paint for eyes, and let the paint dry overnight. This morning, fired up the toaster oven and my lamp. Heated up the jigs in my lamp, dipped int 200% Clear, then cured in the oven. Perfect!

Now I need to get more colors. I can see myself getting quite a few, at least. Need to get some nekkid tungsten ice fishing jigs now :)

mjs

AllenOK said:
Thank you Gaspumper!

Got a bottle of the Black Craft Smart acrylic paint a week ago.  Finally got around to painting a couple 1/32 round heads in White PP, dotted the heads with the paint for eyes, and let the paint dry overnight.  This morning, fired up the toaster oven and my lamp.  Heated up the jigs in my lamp, dipped int 200% Clear, then cured in the oven.  Perfect!

Now I need to get more colors.  I can see myself getting quite a few, at least.  Need to get some nekkid tungsten ice fishing jigs now :)

Sorry AllenOK for not replying. I just check in to see what's new once in a while. I got my paint at walmart, but I don't think a brand or another matters for this. Could be a way to add lines or other details...

Back