Finally had time to play with my new toys

CrappieHappy

I finally had time, and went out to the garage, to make my 1st pour . I forgot to add gate shears to my list, this was a present from my 18 y.o.

results below... :jig:

882bf8e1.jpg

8157e4d7.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you are off and running! :cool: Lead looks nice and shiny clean too.

Do you ever have all the tools you need the 1st time you try something new? I know i sure don't.

CrappieHappy

AtticaFish said:
Looks like you are off and running! :cool: Lead looks nice and shiny clean too.

Do you ever have all the tools you need the 1st time you try something new? I know i sure don't.

Thanks Russ, the guys were right, i was caught off guard when fluxing, the guys mentioned if would flame up, but i wasnt expecting as much of a flame as it put out.... lol....

Negative, never have enough tools.....

Fatman

Heath - buddy we warned ya it would freak you out LOL. I've found myself using my gate shears less and less. I just use a pair of needle nose to hold the top of the sprue and bend it back and forth, then I use an old Barlow knife and scrape over the area where the sprue came off.

Use needle nose and twist those little edges off the bottom of the head.

You'll find with a little practice you'll be spending ALOT of time trimming sprues off LOL, they'll be rolling out the mold.

Fatman

CrappieHappy

Jig Man said:
I try to keep volunteer fire men around when I try something new......
Lol
Radtexan said:
Nice set up and pours Heath....

You do have 911 on your speed dial list ,,,right ?
thanks Roger, I have 911,and my neighbor is a EMT...
Fatman said:
Heath - buddy we warned ya it would freak you out LOL. I've found myself using my gate shears less and less. I just use a pair of needle nose to hold the top of the sprue and bend it back and forth, then I use an old Barlow knife and scrape over the area where the sprue came off.

Use needle nose and twist those little edges off the bottom of the head.
You'll find with a little practice you'll be spending ALOT of time trimming sprues off LOL, they'll be rolling out the mold.
Fatman

Thanks Doug, I used needle nose today, hopefully I get more efficient soon

JUNGLEJIM1

I'm like FM and use needlenose a lot even though I have I have gate shears. Stay safe and wear eye protection,long sleeve shirts and have fun.

LedHed

Sponsor
You can always get the PRO series mold.... I am also guilty of having needlenose & flush cutters at my pour station. Flush cutters are for some of my custom molds.

Rocking back and forth while twisting should give you a fairly clean break.

CrappieHappy

LedHed said:
Just be safe CH.

Will do...

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
I'm like FM and use needlenose a lot even though I have I have gate shears. Stay safe and wear eye protection,long sleeve shirts and have fun.

Will do Jim...

Nightprowler said:
Needle nose are not best for ball heads. Loose heads are almost a guarantee.
NP

LedHed said:
You can always get the PRO series mold.... I am also guilty of having needlenose & flush cutters at my pour station. Flush cutters are for some of my custom molds.

Rocking back and forth while twisting should give you a fairly clean break.

I'll keep this in mind, Thanks Guys!

StumpHunter

Congrats Heath. Those heads look great and it's good to see you got your first pour out of the way:):) I'm about a month behind you, got lead coming so now I have to buy the rest....:D.
Be careful..

Fatman

Prowler

Never had a loose one yet (knock on wood), but I'm holding the jig and twisting the sprue with the needlenose - so the head isn't moving at all.

CrappieHappy

StumpHunter said:
Congrats Heath. Those heads look great and it's good to see you got your first pour out of the way:):) I'm about a month behind you, got lead coming so now I have to buy the rest....:D.
Be careful..

Thanks Ronnie, will do!

Back