Finally allowed back into Canada

hookup

Day after fishing on the Potomac, a buddy and I jumped into his van and drove 630 miles north the a hotel in Ontario. There we picked up supplies, had a nice dinner, then had our last night in a hotel. We woke early, had breakfast and drove another 230 miles to our destination. There we rented a Jon boat

FFgf5JI.jpg

We then motored our stuff to a remote cabin on an island for 8 days of fishing.

8b0SPoi.jpg

We only checked back into the lodge for new trolling motor batteries and gas.

It was hot. Temps were in the mid-80's with water temps going up to the high 70's low 80's. Fish were deep - we spotted them but most were having a siesta. Couple guys were lake trolling with up to 12 oz of lead and either night crawlers or leeches, but that's not our style. We were there for small mouth and really didn't care about the other fish unless it was a keeper walleye for the hot grease. We never got the walleye but had allot of fun searching for them.

That didn't stop the eagles from fishing too

odGvAzP.jpg

Although the fishing was slow considering what we had in the past, even a blind squirrel finds the occasional smallie

vj24k1h.jpg
s3vl2cI.jpg
OJ7ATyI.jpg
ODSyQDh.jpg
i64GKKc.jpg
xlRmYgk.jpg

And a few bonus fish

CZ8CNV0.jpg
vCGrnHB.jpg

These pike are mean!

All in all, each fish was work - lotsa work. But the area is so nice we booked again for next year.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Those are some chunky well fed smallies. What do they eat in that lake? Were they biting jigs?

Ain't your style, but I would be checking rocky shoreline for a wally nite bite.

hookup

I did not see one crawfish Hawn - but saw millions of minnows and some madtom-looking fish.

They were not chasing anything at all at the water levels I was fishing. Got the pikes on a SWM jig I poured with a swim-bait.

We found the smallies on rocky shoreline LOL. Walleye were reported to be below 30 feet. We didn't do any night fishing, rather started the day at o-dark thirty and fished until mid afternoon

Started the day with granola bars, pop tarts and coffee. Then sandwiches on the water for lunch. At night we ate good - crab cakes, steak, chicken & noodles.

Hawnjigs

KISS
You woke up at midnight but didn't fish in the dark? I wake up at midnight and quit fishing at first light.

On my home lake wallys come close to shore at night to feed if baitfish are present, then hunker in deep water daytime.

hookup

If you fish in the dark, you need a fully body suit soaking with deer

And up there you may encounter beer, moose, foxes, and wolverines

Man is not on top of the food chain up there

RockGeo

Congratulations Hookup on the Canadian fishing. You must have gotten up there as soon as they opened the border. July fishing on those Canadian Shield lakes can be hit or miss affairs. I'm glad you found a morning bite for those smallies.

hookup

Thx. Some of the smaller lakes had better bites, but the bigger lakes have bigger fish so are more attractive to me

Back