Field test " Slender Spoons "

papaperch

Nope they aint a skinny spoon used by people on a diet.

Was out on Lake Milton the other day and I could not buy a bite on anything live bait , jigs , plugs etc etc.

Fish were showing upon new 1198 ( that works well also ) but could not convince them to bite. So I dig into the nether reaches of my tackle box and find a 1/16 oz slender spoon. Bright silver with a piece of reflective tape on it.

I intended to use them ice fishing last year but we got very little ice, So without much hope I tip it with a very small piece of worm and dangle over the side. Pump once and instant walleye about 6 inches long. After that perch, channel cat walleye crappie and bluegill. But nothing of even close to keepable size.

I move to area where I think some bull gills ought to be. They were there and boy did they love that spoon. caught enough to save trip but nothing spectacular. One 12 in crappie busted the spoon at this place also.

Next time out I am taking the 1/16 ouncer but also some of its bigger brothers. Got them in 1/8 oz that are 2 inch long and also 5/16 oz that are also 2 inch. The little 16oz is one inch long.

Judging from what little i used it. I think its going to be an all year round producer. One think I am sure of all species seem to like it. Although I usually concentrate on perch and crappie. I kinda like not knowing what the next fish is gonna be.

toadfrog

Gramps swore by spoons . He'd cut a piece of yellow rag in a triangle and hang it on the barb of the hook . Generally out fished me even with my fancy rooster tails .

JUNGLEJIM1

How about a picture of the skinny spoons in all sizes and where can I find some. I have spoons but my 1/8 is an inch long and the 1/16 are 3/4 inch long, not to skinny. Nice report, glad you found some.

quivira kid

They are a royal b**** to keep track of on a flasher, but they do work great! White bass love them in the summer under the lights.

There are a couple great videos from In-Depth Outdoors on YouTube that highlight them that are definitely worth checking out!

plateboater

Use the slender spoons in IL during the ice fishing season as number one bait in the hole. Watching it on camera you snap the spoon and it flutters not up and down but parallel. Pick off the aggressive crappies or gills and we move to next hole.......One trick is to tie a #8 or 10 hook about 18inches above spoons and add a pinched head minnow or piece of nightcrawler can be a game changer. Seen this on the camera. 2nd trick is double up the split rings on the treble. We have seen on cameras the fish spit lures before you know....by putting the second split ring on the the hook it cam's and fish tend to take easier (all mine are switched over). 3rd trick is to put the smallest musky snap connector and tread a minnow head onto that shank then hook into the spoon (in-fisherman trick from a key years back). You catch a lot of fish and do not worry the head stays on for a while (this is only if the action has slowed).
Buying a camera is cool but wow do you get frustrated in a hurry trying to figure out the fish!!!!

Back