Feather dye question

ACAMS

I have some feathers I need to dye to a burnt orange color .... what is the best way and product to use?

I have googled and came up with everything from acid dye to food coloring.

THANKS for any help/tips

I need feathers like these to be light burnt orange.

barredfeathers.jpg

Kdog

I am by no means an expert and rely on my wife when dying feathers.
She suggests this website
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/acid-dye.html
and specifically the file below
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/ass...ages/dyes/acid/Acid Dye Instructions-2014.pdf

I have dyed hair and feathers with satisfactory results following the instructions. I have found that when doing the final drying, placing feathers between 2 towels and letting them dry slowly gives nice straight feathers but is slow, Forced air drying results in fluffier feathers. Most important think I've learned is feathers, fur etc must be clean before dying. I use dawn dish detergent and aa half gallon plastic jar with lid. If you remember shake-a-pudding you will know exactly what I am talking about. Once clean they neep to be rinsed and rinsed well.

Dye concentration gives your color, length of soak gives the durability as dye (color) needs to fully penetrate the fiber. Truth be told, dyes are stains which is why gloves whould be worn when dying. I have also dyed white feathers using onion skins for a yellow color and fresh red beets for a reddish purple and walnut hulls for a greenish black. Seems to me anything that stains your hands to the point where soap and water will not remove the stain will probably work. But the acid dyes are a lot easier to use and control.
Would love to see your final product.

ACAMS

LOL ..... luckily, I don't have any walnuts. (even tho I remember pealing the hulls and my fingers turning the color I am looking for)

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will try it next week and towel dry because I do want them straight. (gonna be crawfish pincers)

AllenOK

I've had several computer crashes in the past 9 months, and have lost A LOT of images. I had a color chart of different shades of color that could be achieved with different quantities of various flavors of Kool-Aid.

I've got a few really NICE feathers that I've dyed with Lemonberry Kool-Aid, a real pretty sky-blue color.

StumpHunter

I use dye and kool-aid, really like how easy the kool-aid is to deal with. I need to try double dyeing to see if the color will take over already dyed materials.

JUNGLEJIM1

I need to try the Koo-laid more. It's cheaper than the Perfection dyes I've been using. Double dyeing works as long as you are planning to go with a darker color the second go around.

Fatman

When I used the RIT purple liquid dye it didn't come out as dark as I wanted so I took some that I had dyed with black cherry kool-aid and dyed them in the RIT liquid purple and they came out really nice.

AllenOK here's one chart for the kool-aid
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html

Some of the Hawiian Punch drink mix's give you some good colors also. My wife is getting me some of the Veniards Fly Dye in the fluorescent colors for Christmas - they cost more but according to the instructions I've seen you don't have to use as much.

Back