Favorite jigging rod and reel

stanger1944

Just curious, what is everyone's favorite jigging outfit rod/reel/size line. especially the ultralight stuff.

I'll start for the really light stuff 2lb test on a Zebco 15 6' ultralight rod.
Regular jigging, 10' rod with spinning reel, 8lb test

CrappieHappy

I like my pro angler rods in 6.5' and 8' with Quantum 10 spinning reels. I also like my 4.5' Wally Marshall spinning combo , typically 4 - 6 lb line...

Fatman

For my UL stuff I really don't go below 6LB. is a BPS Pro Comp II 6 1/2 ft 2 piece lite action rod - if this ever breaks I'll cry!!!!!!! This is matched with a Shimano TX110 reel. Should have bought 3 or 4 more when i heard they were clearing them out.

My new little bushing rod is a 6ft. BPS Pro Comp II 1-piece rod with a Shimano Slade 1000 reel (still looking for another 1000 spool) - haven't used it yet but looking forward to it.

My newest outfit is an Ugly Stick Pro lite 7' 2-piece rod and it's matched with a Shimano Symetre 1000FH reel and 6 lb. line. This outfit was all ready to go before I had all my medical problems so it is as yet unfished.

For smallmouth and above I have 2 matched outfits Shimano Magnumlite fighing rods 6 1/2 ft 2 piece rods model SM-2652 matched up with Shimano TX-120Q reels. These babies flat out work great for jigs from 1/8 - 5/16th. Hard to believe they were the top of the line Shimano's in 1982.

Lost Pole

I only fish for sacalait and spend 99% of the time vertical jigging some kinda structure, so a BnM 10' ultralight with the excess handle cut off with a weighted PVC cap on the end and a Bucks plastic reel at the butt, w/ 6lb hi vis line.
If I'm deeper than 12' I use the same but w/ the handle and a cheap spinning reel.

quivira kid

Depends on what I am fishing for and how! Got a 4.5 ft Daiwa UL rod for jigging out of the boat and fishing for bluegills. 6'6" Eagle Claw glass rod for float fishing. 10 ft BnM for dipping trees, a couple different ice rods for jigging over the lights in the summer, as well as dock fishing.......... want me to keep going? I was once told to "use the right tool for the job". One rod can't be the best at it all! Next rod I am going to add is an ESP Micro Light, for float fishing bluegills and flipping docks with super small jigs for crappie.

Pup

stanger1944 said:
Just curious, what is everyone's favorite jigging outfit rod/reel/size line. especially the ultralight stuff.

Ultralight for crappie :
  • Late '90s/Early 2000s Shimano Stimula SI56UL2B spinning rod (5'6" long)
  • Tica Cetus SB500 or Okuma AV-15A Spinning Reel
  • Vicious Panfish Line - Hi-Vis Yellow 4-lb. test

quivira kid

Guess I only answered 1/3 of the question too.... reel of choice is a Pflueger President. For line, I use Trilene XL for 2lb and 4lb, and Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon in 4 and 6lb. I recently picked up a spool of 8lb Berkley Nanofil to try out.... I will do a report on it if anyone is interested after i have used it awhile.

SaltyBuckster

I'm an Ugly Stik guy.Have them all.My favorite light jigging pole is a 5' Cherrywood rod with a Mitchell Avocate reel with 4lb. spiderwire on it.I only fish from a boat.For timber and stumps it is a 8' Crappie Ugly Stik with a Shimano Slade 1000F on it with 6lb. for dockshooting and gills my 4'6" Ugly Stik with a vintage Mitchell 308 suits the purpose.

oldfox

I have to go with B'n'M Crappie Wizard 7'6" as my top choice, followed closely by a Sam Heaton 7'. Both with a Pflueger President 6930.. Late summer I go with the Heaton 10' and tight lining...

hunter7711

I have 3 Sam Heatons and love every one of them. All I use them for is single pole'un. On a good day I will use one in each hand. I use the 12' one for single pole'un from the bank since it gives me a little more reach. The Sam Heatons are a B&M rod.

StumpHunter

For single pole jigging I use a 9' Wally Marshall. I have B&M's for pulling cranks and use Silstar for longlining. I like the Ugly Stik for shotting docks and have some BPS Micro Lites for nightstalking. Bunch of other rods mixed in for other uses.

JUNGLEJIM1

Single rod ,that's a tough one. G-LOOMIS SR 842 7' spinning rod matched with a Shimano Stella 1000FA, matched with Tectan 5.1 which diameter is less than most 2lb mono out there. True ultra light is a LOOMIS PREMIER 720LS 6' that I bought in 1986 and is still in great shape. I have a Shimano Stradic 1000 FH matched with the rod. Stella combo is always with me on every trip.

Mike Andrews

Dobyns DX701SF w/ Shimano Stradic 1000, 10# Flame Green Fireline w/ 8# Seaguar InvisX leader. I just respooled with Sufix 832 in 20# (6# diameter) and with one trip on it I like what I see so far.

I realize that's a pricey rig for crappie fishing but bass fisherman think nothing of dropping that kind of coin for multiple rigs so I figure "Why not?"..the weight, balance, and sensitivity are off the hook!

Shoemoo

Cabela's XMLti 7' L for the rod.

Pflueger Supreme reel spooled with 12 pound Nanofil.

This setup is so sensitive, I can feel the thump even when using a bobber.

Shoemoo

IMHO, it depends on the technique you are using. Float fishing does not need an expensive rod because you're watching a float to indicate the bite. With trolling it depends on what you are pulling. Sometimes you need to be able to tell the difference between the action of the lure and short striking fish. It also helps you to tell if your lure is running right or had picked up weeds.

Some techniques simply require a sensitive rod for success. Vertical jigging, for example. When the fish aren't striking hard, a sensitive rod will allow you to feel lighter bites. It can mean the difference between a good day and going home skunked.

bombora

Any of you guys use reels with finesse drag systems? I figured I do so much light/ultralight fishing I'd finally get a swish reel. Got a Daiwa Certate 1503 Vintagecustom. No decals, cool wood handle and they've aged the metal body so it looks like something you found in the second hand shop. And that finesse drag is awesome, so subtle and absolutely no start up inertia. Thought it was hype but I am sold. Spooled with 3 pound Crystal Fireline, may drop to two pound, and may get another spool and put on 2 pound flouro all the way through for when the local sandflats are crystal clear. Got it delivered from a shop in Montana for less than half the price available here!
Matched to a local brand rod, a 7'6" Lox. IM8. The hype on this one is extra fast casting action but forgiving semi parabolic fighting curve. Casting weights 1/32nd to 1/8th. Wood insert on reel seat looks cool too! When I'm not chasing trout it's casting at smaller inshore pelagics.

Attachments

• salmonnorthharbour.JPG
    salmonnorthharbour.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 98
Back