Fall feeding frenzy

hookup

Buddy and I did a float on a section of the Shenandoah River in VA today. Cool day with clouds and wind most of the day. Water was stained and in the 60's. Fish were scattered, but eating. We could watch smallies chasing minnows up onto the shore line & through the water. Way cool. Very aggressive feeders.

My buddy got the big fish of the day at 18".

IMG_0792_zpsybgl5r9d.jpg

We caught about 25-30 fish and lost a few. We both mysteriously lost spinnerbaits with cleanly cut line (mono and braid) in the same area (Musky maybe?)

Beautiful early Fall day to be on the river. Love that river!

Fish were very active - chasing minnows on the surface & onto the shores. Every fish was light in color - swimming and feeding.

IMG_0796_zpsf2vnii3t.jpg

Haven't paddled the Discovery 159 canoe for a long time & it's nice getting it out again. Nice to be out on the river with some water & not have to drag 1/2 the day like it's been here all summer.

Busted the cherry on a new rod too 6'6" SCIII ML performed nicely

hookup

This buddy & I have been chatting on the net for almost 15 years trying to hook up. He's a lake large mouth real boat guy, I'm a kayak river small mouth guy.

Bumped into him at the local ramp in his jon but we never fished together

Turns out that my wife & I walk our dog by his house almost every night - didn't realize we lived that close together.

I have a Discovery 158 canoe so we finally took it out & had a blast

hookup

Hawn - Yep, but my buddy was fishing a store bought spinnerbait

Jim - They stocked musky in that river years ago. Every now & then I catch the fish of 1,000 casts.

Back