Eyes

Jungleboy

A newby question here. How important do you think the eyes are on the jig head? Is it a make or break thing on their effectiveness, or is it more of a cosmetic thing designed to please the fisherman more than the fish?

plateboater

You are trying to find the answers that will have a LOT of different answers. Last year I tried to bring data out on this.....I still have mixed emotions on the eye in 3D or paint or any at all. I think color scheme (overall jig head, body/tail) mattered more last year in my data not so much the eye. This may be a good post. I posted something similar to this last year!

StumpHunter

I use them both ways and catch fish on all of the jigs, with that said they sure are pretty with 3D eyes shinning in the sunlight :):)

Jig Man

I think on days when the bite is off they will make a difference, especially in over fished areas like maybe marinas or situations like that. But on days when they are shallow and spawning and aggressive, they will take the worst jig in the box. Can't say for sure about the first part, but have proved the second part many times over the years...

eyecrosser

Eyes or blind, they all catch fish. Profile and color according to water conditions and bait size most important IMHO.

Pup

Jungleboy said:
A newby question here. How important do you think the eyes are on the jig head? Is it a make or break thing on their effectiveness, or is it more of a cosmetic thing designed to please the fisherman more than the fish?

1. Unimportant to the fish. Possibly important to a jig maker.
  2. Neither.
As a jig maker who paints his own eyes on, achieving a "job well done" feeling is important to me. A pair of nicely-painted eyes atop a jig head helps to give me that feeling.

I don't believe that eyes are of importance to any aspect of my own personal jig fishing.

Kdog

I like eyes so I paint them or put them on. I think is makes for a more realistic looking bait. Last spring was invited to fish with one of the "Local Walleye Guru's" We were both using a 1/32 oz watermelon ball jig. Mine had Chartreuse eyes, his were plain. 4 hours later I was limited out, he was at 2 fish. So yes on that outing, they were better. More often than not, he will outfish anyone on the lake. I left him 50 jigs and when we got back to his house, he gave me 50 blanks and showed me his last jig with the same eye that I was using. He did not remember where he had gotten them and kept the one in hopes of duplicating it.

He shared with me that the eye in his opinion makes a difference when water is clear and on cloudy days FWW. Also said a shiny eye is good early and late in the day but not so good after 8am and before 9pm.

JUNGLEJIM1

I believe eyes make a difference in the amount of fish I catch or I wouldn't bother putting them on. I'd just save them for the paying customers. Gave some to a Canadian guide that had glow eyes. He sent me a message today saying they are catching walleye ice fishing down 25 foot of water,20 inches thick ice with a foot of snow over that. Jigs with the glow eye are out fishing jigs with no glow eye 5-1. Sounds like the fish up there think there is a difference.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps there is a time and place for them. Thinking super clear water or maybe where low light is present and glow (or UV) is needed to see (and be seen) but for the most part, i put eyes on more for ME than the fish....... i think?

Agree 100% with the statement below.

eyecrosser said:
Eyes or blind, they all catch fish. Profile and color according to water conditions and bait size most important IMHO.

Bucho

When you look at nature, there are many species that feature fake eye dots in order to irritate their predators. It doesn´t keep them 100% save but might give them an edge every once in a while. I´m pretty sure eyes do have an effect on the perception of fish.
That beeing said, worms and leeches don´t have visible eyes and still get eaten so its certainly not a critical one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aug...qRtAa82YCICA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1278&bih=659

jig-guy

I put eyes on most of my jigs. I like the eye's because it make my jigs more realistic, life like.
I just finished some 6 oz. jigs with glow white paint, glow squid plastic tailes over 4" long and now I am ready for the big lingcod off Southern Ca.
My jigs have eyes and I think it will help me catch fish. The jigs also look cool!
IF? I catch some lingers (or 1) I will post their picture with my jigs.
IMHO
Bill

papaperch

I look at it this way. ( Remember I tend to over simplify everything. ) I have never heard of a fish NOT hitting a lure BECAUSE it had eyes on it.

When young we used to seine minnows as we could not afford to buy them. Plus I think it was better bait and wished I was still fit enough to do it. But when scouting creeks for minnows almost the very first thing I noticed was their eyes. That and the flashes they gave off when the school got scared.

I suppose extensive research could be done to prove the point one way or the other. But I think us humans being like we are. Would continue doing what we like regardless of the proven outcome.

SlabHappy

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
Jigs with the glow eye are out fishing jigs with no glow eye 5-1. Sounds like the fish up there think there is a difference.

I bought me some 4mm glow eyes. Looks like I need to tye me a few with them!

Jighead76

I fish muddy water and you lose sight of the jig after it's underwater 6 inches so the crappie and gills I fish for seem to like the flash and color more than anything. I've never used a natural looking bait when I target these fish in my home waters (except body style maybe). So no eyes.
I've read about fish vision in a few articles and most talk about clear water conditions. If anyone has a article on black water fish sight let me now.
Now on a different note. If one of my buddies from Wisconsin wants a jig for clear water I put eyes on it. Also if I got time and my paints arnt dried up I put some on. Or a place for 3d eyes I put some on too.
What's it gonna hurt.

jiggerjohn

For all my ties I prefer to use Hawnjigs awesome tin/bismuth alloy heads (non lead) because of their constant, never dulling shine. Sort of like using a spoon along with a jig! To paint eyes on these glowing beauties,or use any paint of any type, would just diminish the all-important, fish attracting FLASH !!

Bucho

All-shiny leadfree heads are certainly catching fish alright but a nice bright underside combined with a more realistic, darker top and some eyes has something to it, too, I find. I´m totally with you when it comes to fully engulfing tin with powderpaint, its a total waste. I try to reduce the paint to the upper half of my lead-free versions, makes it easier to distinguish them from the heavier lead heads.
That "what fish see" is a "must" read by the way. :icon14:

17343868lt.jpg

17343869iq.jpg

Back