'Eye Jig Redux

oleo40

Very nice ties. I make some that are a lot like yours with craft hair but will try the under body of wool this fall when the Shad show up. Mine are tied to look [some what] like Emerald Shiners as those are in the river system I fish. We have a heavy Fall run from Lake Huron and from Oct until May the river is full of eye's. Our best night fishing is about 5 AM till 1/2 hour after daylight. Other than that there is a good bite from 10AM til 2PM [Lunch time] Happens every year. Like I said , will give the wool a try this fall. Tks Ole

papaperch

A bit more on walleyes and light. Strictly on my observation of them over the years and not based on anything scientific.

Used to fish a shallow river chest wading at night for walleye. Would stand in about 2 foot of water and cast to four foot deep pools.
Friend and I would slay them until someone let their light hit the water. Usually some stranger trying to horn in on our bonanza.

Contrast this to fishing at night jigging for crappie tied up to some bridge somewhere. Using a sinking light about a foot under the water. I have caught many walleye right in middle of 16 ' of light circle. At depths ranging from 4 foot to all the way to bottom.

My theory is that walleye and perhaps some other fish or not as spooky or leery when deep water is close at hand. In shallower water they can be extremely wary. Buck Perry the father of structure fishing opined much the same on bass and other gamefish.
In that fish liked structure close to deep water for an immediate escape path.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I've done 100% of my night time walleye fishing from shore on this particular lake. Have fished it before (daylight) from my kayak and honestly do better from shore (for ALL species) than from my kayak. The water is ridiculously clear, so thinking the fish do avoid people/boats when they can. Talk to a couple regulars when i see them and they almost all troll this lake. Trolling in a kayak whoops my butt.

When fishing during the day at this lake, there are many times that i might be sitting on a rock low to the water and then spook a bunch of fish away as soon as i stand up. The bass keep their distance during daylight..... but after dark they don't seem to mind coming in close and do not mind the light pointed straight at them either. I've NEVER seen a walleye cruising the shore during daylight. The walleye do shy away from the spotlight to a point after dark..... but have also been able to watch glowing eyes blast up into shallow water after bait, so they are not totally put off by it.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Are you getting out there? I think the wallys eventually migrate out and deep with warming weather?

A cold front came thru Sunday night and its still cool here, so maybe why after 2 weeks of no show wallys finally got one + a typical Mac dam chunk wiper. Both on a 1/8 white rabbit Boolie which remains my go to confidence lure of choice. I guess the lesson is to overlook the skunks & just keep at it.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have not been out at dusk for a few weeks now. Did get out once to one of my favorite walleye lakes.... but it was in the middle of the day. Not much besides dink bluegill were active that day. Even tried tight lining bait on a separate rod for perch and did not get a bite.

IMO, the walleye are simply going to follow the bait. I believe you said there are not populations of sunfish in your big lake..... are there any other forage fish that use the shoreline as cover? The main lake i fish, the walleye seem to use the shoreline as a bluegill buffet at night all through the year. For what ever reason though, certain nights i will go out and not spot a single set of glowing eyes. Other nights they are every 20-30 yards down the bank.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The Mac has an alewife and shad movement pattern that brings em in close to shore at nite. Earlier in the year I was getting wallys at sunset, now strictly only at nite and as mentioned not many left off the dam. I don't think shallow spotting is completely indicative of presence, as practically all mine have been down 15-25'.

Any surface feeding out your way? If so, you might have a schooling baitfish pop in addition to the bottom huggers.

Back